BEADTHRILLED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chipped Onyx fix?

+3
Tinka
PMJ
mrinn
7 posters

Go down

Chipped Onyx fix? Empty Chipped Onyx fix?

Post by mrinn Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:43 pm

I recently was able to purchase one of the onyx beads from a LD. It is striped and the outer edge is brownish (sorry I haven't been able to upload pics successfully yet). When I went to put it on my bracelet the next day, I saw that a tiny piece of the edge broke off. I do not blame the dealer at all, I know that due to the way the stone was cut, what made the bead so desirable to me was also the weakest part of the stone. Being on the edge, it broke off. Since I believe it happened after I purchased it ( didn't notice it in store), the dealer is not at fault.

My question is- is there anything I can do to seal the rough edge? I'm afraid that the stone could break more. I'm on a very limited budget so I can't afford to just put it away. I'm only 3 beads away from completing my first bracelet!

Thanks,
melissa
mrinn
mrinn
Trollbaby
Trollbaby

Back to top Go down

Chipped Onyx fix? Empty Re: Chipped Onyx fix?

Post by PMJ Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:53 pm

I should ask my jeweler if I can replace the bead, because sometimes gemstones aren't cut and polished in the right direction and things like this happen. If you bought it recently, maybe there is a possibility. You have 1 year of garantee I thought or check trollbeads-universe.com for that.
If you like to keep this bead... I would ask the possibilities with my jeweler to pollish it. I'm so sorry for you... hope you find a way...
PMJ
PMJ
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinka Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:14 pm

I bought a black-onyx set and after I came home, I noticed one of the stones was damaged. I didn't notice it while I was in the store.

I gave it back and got another. No problem at all.

Good stones don't break easily. So if you didn't damage it yourself (let it fall on the floor for instance), it must have been a weak spot. Ask for a new onyx, your jeweller can return the damaged bead without any costs for him. Good luck!
Tinka
Tinka
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuzzyfeet Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:03 pm

Personally I would take it back and swap it, the flaw would annoy me.....but if you like the bead so much you want to keep it, maybe a dab of clear nail varnish would coat the rough spot.
Fuzzyfeet
Fuzzyfeet
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by lecohen Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:42 pm

Agree, return it, it shouldn't be a problem...agree with others that a good stone should not break easily
lecohen
lecohen
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by mrinn Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:36 pm

I was able to look up a local "rock hound" and they're going to be able to gently buff and seal it. I really love the pattern of the stone, chip or not. It's not really noticeable. If it was a production glass or silver I'd take it back in a heartbeat, but being a real onyx I'd never see that specific pattern again. I'll let you know how things work out.
Thanks for all the help!!!
mrinn
mrinn
Trollbaby
Trollbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Zabeth Mon May 14, 2012 4:15 am

I agree...get a new one because it will always be an issue....
Zabeth
Zabeth
Trollbaby
Trollbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by ceruleanbluebird Mon May 14, 2012 12:11 pm

I have a Fantasy Jasper that has a flea-sized nick in it. It hasn't gotten any bigger and I think it gives it character.
ceruleanbluebird
ceruleanbluebird
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down