BEADTHRILLED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where to find ... US loop turners and other tips - how to!

+13
Jan
Wintertroll
LindaJo
prin
hayseed
GRUMPY
arielle
retiredk9racer
Fuzzyfeet
ahmotheroftwo
Megram
Blairkj
Bluesybeads
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Where to find ... US loop turners and other tips - how to! Empty Where to find ... US loop turners and other tips - how to!

Post by Bluesybeads Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:25 pm

Hi everyone,

I have forgotten what they are called - rods, pullers, loop turners or something like it from the US I think. Someone posted about using a kind of rods for storage as well as easy threading of beads onto a bracelet.

I would like some and cannot find it anywhere - somehow the search function does not work for me Rolling Eyes

Please provide a link to where I can buy as well bounce

Thank you in advance for your help Where to find ... US loop turners and other tips - how to! 285629

Last edited by Bluesybeads on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bluesybeads
Bluesybeads
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Where to find ... US loop turners and other tips - how to! Empty Re: Where to find ... US loop turners and other tips - how to!

Post by Blairkj Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:30 pm

The rod to help get your beads onto a bracelet is called a tube or loop turner in the states. Looks like this:
http://www.joann.com/dritz-loop-turner/prd2991/
They can be found in fabric stores.
Blairkj
Blairkj
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Where to find ... US loop turners and other tips - how to! Empty Re: Where to find ... US loop turners and other tips - how to!

Post by Megram Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:31 pm

Hi Bluesbaby, I think you mean a loop turner ... this is a link to one on UK site ... try searching on yours for similar .. hope the link works Very Happy

ebay.co.uk/itm/LOOP-TURNER-SEWING-rouleau-straps-belts-CRAFTS-Hemline-/400054298221?pt=UK_Crafts_Sewing_Supplies_MJ&hash=item5d2518266d#ht_731wt_821

Megram
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Megram Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:32 pm

sorry - link didn't work .. Sad

Megram
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluesybeads Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:39 pm

Thank you so much Where to find ... US loop turners and other tips - how to! 285629

Will the beads stay on and be stopped by a silver stopper?
Bluesybeads
Bluesybeads
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Megram Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:05 pm

I think the loop turner is used to pass beads from rod to bracelet .. hook the end onto chain ring then slide beads. If you don't have rods either cut bamboo skewers to a length you want or try pipe cleaners ( find in craft supplies cos are used by children making things Very Happy ) Hope this helps, I am very new & only learning myself, sorry flower

Megram
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by ahmotheroftwo Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:47 am

Bluesybeads wrote:

Will the beads stay on and be stopped by a silver stopper?

No, a TB stopper will not stop the beads on the turner- the rod is too thin. I use a knitting needle stopper. It looks like a cone and fits rather tightly.

I actually use the loop turner to help put the Tb stopper onto my bracelet b/c it slips so easily.
ahmotheroftwo
ahmotheroftwo
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Post by ahmotheroftwo Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:47 am

double post- sorry!
ahmotheroftwo
ahmotheroftwo
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Post by Megram Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:52 am

ahmotheroftwo wrote:

No, a TB stopper will not stop the beads on the turner- the rod is too thin. I use a knitting needle stopper. It looks like a cone and fits rather tightly.

I actually use the loop turner to help put the Tb stopper onto my bracelet b/c it slips so easily.

To ahmotheroftwo :-[

Please can you advise me .. my earlier post now seems ambiguous but I knew what I meant Embarassed Smile
My hands are arthritic & I have dexterity problems when handling beads so I placed them on a non slippy pipe cleaner in order & facing as I wanted on bracelet, then transferred to my one & only loop turner, hooked it onto bracelet & slid on beads. Am I making it too complicated for myself ?

I assume you only need stoppers on the loop turners if using as rods to store beads ?
Sorry for being dim but I'm only learning Bang head .. should have a big red L plate beside my name Smile

Megram
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluesybeads Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:40 am

Dearest Megram, stop beating yourself up Where to find ... US loop turners and other tips - how to! 285629

We all have to learn through life - learning is never finished, and someone may just have found another and better way of doing things, which does not mean that you are dum, dim or anything else.

Tips are greatly appreaciated - I love learning new ways of doing things, thank you everyone!

And thank you to my dear fairy for offering to send me some loop turners to try out Where to find ... US loop turners and other tips - how to! 285629
Bluesybeads
Bluesybeads
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuzzyfeet Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:57 am

Loop turners are fantastic ! They make swapping that one bead that doesn't look quite right so easy, I would get several, you need 2 for the design process (so you can slip the beads from one to the other so you can change individual beads easily, then I also use a couple to store ready made bracelets, and they make getting that tricky little stopper onto the chain so much easier Very Happy
Fuzzyfeet
Fuzzyfeet
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Megram Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:37 pm

[quote="Bluesybeads"]Dearest Megram, stop beating yourself up Where to find ... US loop turners and other tips - how to! 285629

lol! I wasn't intentionally beating myself up Very Happy but thanks for caring & explaining , I was a tad confused

Before I had the loop turner I was using a piece of thick cotton thread through the bracelet ring to get stoppers on ( a tip from another BT friend Thanks Thanks ) but it took me ages to get thread through the ring Rolling Eyes ... & keeping it there ( cos bracelet was heavy) while I fiddled with the stopper Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad ... had lots of trouble with beads, slippery, awkward little blighters, find pipe cleaners great cos beads don't slide about Very Happy

Only mentioning cos may help someone else with poor dexterity.

Must get at least one more loop turner ( struck lucky at a local haberdasher & got last in stock ).... I'll be prepared for the day I have enough beads to change Wink

Thanks for tip about knitting needle protectors ... will check my box, should be some in there.

Now I'm hunting for a gadget ( saw one on Etsy ) to help me get a full ( & heavy Exclamation ) bracelet on my wrist & fastened in less than 20 minutes flower

Megram
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluesybeads Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:25 pm

Megram wrote:Only mentioning cos may help someone else with poor dexterity.

Now I'm hunting for a gadget ( saw one on Etsy ) to help me get a full ( & heavy Exclamation ) bracelet on my wrist & fastened in less than 20 minutes

I understand about poor dexterity, and we will all get there some time in our lives. I had a period of illness where I had to use all my resourcefulness to get things done when limbs were not cooperating.

Megram, if you find an easy way to get your bracelet on, please share with us Exclamation

I sometimes have problems fastening my very thight leather bracelet on my right arm. DH is no help at all even with both hands at his disposal Laughing At least I found out that I should try the fastening before I cream my hands and face for the day. Embarassed Creamless hands make the fastening less slippery Laughing

Please share any tips you have, thank you!
Bluesybeads
Bluesybeads
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by retiredk9racer Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:36 pm

I have something called a Bracelet Buddy - it looks like a roach clip and is about 6 or 7 inches long. You clip it onto the loop end of the bracelet and hold it in your hand. Then with the loop end not moving, you can maneuver the clasp onto the loop end. I find it expecially helpful with my greyhound lock. I got mine at a store called Claire's here in the US. It is a store that caters to pre-teens, mainly. I had to describe it as roach clip to the salesgirl - not sure what that says about this young generation - at least I grew up in the 60's and 70's!! Laughing
retiredk9racer
retiredk9racer
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by retiredk9racer Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:42 pm

Here is a link to one that looks like the one I have:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Bracelet-Fastener-Bracelet-Buddy-/280815326882?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4161e5d6a2

I am sure you could make one if you can find the clip at the end and hot glue or tape it to a metal rod.

retiredk9racer
retiredk9racer
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluesybeads Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:51 pm

The Bracelet Buddy sounds like a really good idea!

Does the clip leave marks or scratch marks on the silver?

This certainly makes my mind go faster - and how about my leather bracelets - will have to think and look for such useful things here!
Bluesybeads
Bluesybeads
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by retiredk9racer Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:44 pm

I use mine every day on my Urnes bracelet and I haven't noticed any markings. I just looked at it with my middle-aged eyes and reading glasses and couldn't see any markings. Now if you were to use a jeweler's loupe or magnifying glass, you might see minute markings, but, then again, as these are worn, there are sure to be little marks on them. I haven't tried it with my leather bracelet yet, as I have been mostly wearing my silver bracelets during the winter with long sleeves, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
retiredk9racer
retiredk9racer
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by arielle Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Just in case anyone is still looking for loop turners, for those of you in the US they sell them at joann fabrics and most knitting-type stores
arielle
arielle
Trollbeads Retailer

http://www.etsy.com/shop/arleiie

Back to top Go down

Post by Megram Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:03 pm

retiredk9racer wrote:Here is a link to one that looks like the one I have:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Bracelet-Fastener-Bracelet-Buddy-/280815326882?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4161e5d6a2

I am sure you could make one if you can find the clip at the end and hot glue or tape it to a metal rod.

lol! I am useless !! But my DH can make ANYTHING !!!!! Will show him the link & hope he feels inclined Smile
Thank you soooo much flower

Megram
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by GRUMPY Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:28 pm

a simple thin bit of ribbon .. pull it through the big ring of bracelet hold it with your fingers of the hand that the bracelet goes on, and than take the lock with other hand and close, pull ribbon through the ring to remove it.... magic somewhere is a youtube film showing it. alternatively the safety chain works similar
GRUMPY
GRUMPY
Trolldiva

http://www.paula4u.net

Back to top Go down

Post by hayseed Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:52 pm

GRUMPY wrote:a simple thin bit of ribbon .. pull it through the big ring of bracelet hold it with your fingers of the hand that the bracelet goes on, and than take the lock with other hand and close, pull ribbon through the ring to remove it.... magic somewhere is a youtube film showing it. alternatively the safety chain works similar

BRILLIANT! cheers
Now I won't have to endure scolding by my Hubby when I ask him to do it for me! Embarassed Rolling Eyes bounce
Thanks so much, Grumpy!!! Hug
hayseed
hayseed
BeadWrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by hayseed Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:57 pm

WOW!!! Just did it on the first try!!! THIS WORKS!!!
flower Hurray Jump Grumble dance Bunny dance Taz
hayseed
hayseed
BeadWrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by GRUMPY Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:00 pm

i know and a thin ribbon just leave it with your bracelets somewhere, pack a spare one in your wallet incase you travel..
GRUMPY
GRUMPY
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Megram Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:13 pm

Bluesybeads wrote:
Megram, if you find an easy way to get your bracelet on, please share with us Exclamation

Please share any tips you have, thank you!

Oops don't think I need to .... Grumpy seems to have found an easy solution Hurray Jump ... can't wait to try it Smile

THANK YOU GRUMPY Hug

Megram
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by GRUMPY Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:21 pm

megram someone on the german forum or one of the german stores had a youtube video on it, I never forgot..;-)
GRUMPY
GRUMPY
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next