BEADTHRILLED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Faerybeads 'Crouching Leopard' Contest

+11
Trollperle
splinty
kyrama
Kalerie17
TrollEcat
Arineso
Rainbow
Fairy3
strike
Beady-Eyed
Faerybeads
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Faerybeads 'Crouching Leopard' Contest Empty Faerybeads 'Crouching Leopard' Contest

Post by Faerybeads Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:57 pm

A new contest for this weekend and week! Get ready for some serious digging!

The winner is drawn from both the comments beneath this post and comments made on our facebook page.
The winner, to be announced on April 26th, receives the Crouching Leopard pendant.

~ Good luck! ~
Faerybeads 'Crouching Leopard' Contest 18042015_Faerybeads_Leopard_contest_bt_zpsxvbxzmg0
Faerybeads
Faerybeads
Fine Jewelry

https://www.facebook.com/faerybeads http://www.pinterest.com/faerybeads/faery-dust/ http://www.faerybeads.com/

Back to top Go down

Faerybeads 'Crouching Leopard' Contest Empty Re: Faerybeads 'Crouching Leopard' Contest

Post by Beady-Eyed Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:10 pm

I love these contests  cheers   and learn so much!  I already stumbled across a gorgeous peacock spider with leopard spots:
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/running-ponies/2014/05/03/new-species-of-peacock-spider-has-leopard-spots-and-cat-like-moves/

Warning: if you feel about spiders the way I do about snakes, do not click on the link. Shocked
Beady-Eyed
Beady-Eyed
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Faerybeads 'Crouching Leopard' Contest Empty Re: Faerybeads 'Crouching Leopard' Contest

Post by strike Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:17 pm

Did you watch the little video? The waving dance was cute Laughing

Beady-Eyed wrote:I love these contests  cheers   and learn so much!  I already stumbled across a gorgeous peacock spider with leopard spots:
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/running-ponies/2014/05/03/new-species-of-peacock-spider-has-leopard-spots-and-cat-like-moves/

Warning: if you feel about spiders the way I do about snakes, do not click on the link. Shocked
strike
strike
Troll Guru

http://www.blackbootslonglegs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fairy3 Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:45 pm

Faerybeads 'Crouching Leopard' Contest 2vkhuzl
Gorgeous pendant!!! Reminds me à little of my Guy
even though he's a Bengal he's still from the amazing cat Family

Faerybeads 'Crouching Leopard' Contest 15fhxg6
My eldest took this picture this morning

Last edited by Fairy3 on Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fairy3
Fairy3
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbow Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:43 pm

He's beautiful x and so is your cat Fairy3
Rainbow
Rainbow
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Fairy3 Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:45 pm

Very Happy thank you
Rainbow wrote:He's beautiful x and so is your cat Fairy3
Fairy3
Fairy3
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Arineso Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:16 pm

Thank you, Faerybeads for the Contest Very Happy

-

Fairy3
Guy is so beautiful![/size]

Last edited by Arineso on Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arineso
Arineso
Trollbaby
Trollbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fairy3 Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:26 pm

I think they may both have trong claws Wink we had one on a pilar in our yard ones and it held on so tight you couldn't get it to go away.
Fairy3
Fairy3
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by TrollEcat Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:35 pm

Oh, I LOVE this contest ... there is not only a really really amazing prize to win but it is also so much fun to search and dig for the right answer and to learn more about mythology and other cultures. Very Happy
And here comes my story Smile

Leopard, Peacock & Stars … a symbol for eternity

In Egyptian mythology Seshat is the goddess of wisdom, knowledge and writing. She did not only invent writing but was also identified as goddess of astronomy. In ancient paintings she is shown clothed in leopard hide. The spots on the skin were thought to represent stars. And the stars in the night sky symbolized eternity.

So now what does this have in common with the peacock … In Greco-Roman mythology the Peacock is identified with Hera who created the Peacock from her trusted watchman Argus by transferring his hundred all-seeing eyes to the Peacock’s tail when Argus was killed. Those eyes symbolize the „eye“ of the stars that watch over us humans and that are again a symbol for eternity.

leopard leopard leopard
TrollEcat
TrollEcat
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalerie17 Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:47 pm

These animals were simbols of pride and arrogance in Western culture . In Western art that sin was usually depicted as a woman with a peacock and a lion or an eagle - the main emblems of the earthly and the heavenly world. Other pride symbols were cock, a fallen angel, the leopard, the mirror, the Tower of Babel.
Kalerie17
Kalerie17
Trollbaby
Trollbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by kyrama Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:10 am

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but each peacock's tail feathers is unique as is each leopard's pattern of spots...
kyrama
kyrama
Trollbaby
Trollbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by splinty Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:27 am

Hard one to answer as leopards were well known to the ancients but they used different terminology as they often confused leopards with other big cats like cheetahs, panthers, cougars, jaguars and some going by tail length rather than colour to distinguish (and I love that black leopards are still spotty, it's just you can't see them as they have a melanism condition). In Egyptian mythology you had Seshat dressed in a leopard/cheetah skin, Goddess Mafdet the "runner", the Serpopard with a leopard body and giraffe head, Tutankhamen statue and of course the Pharaohs keeping them in their houses.  The ancient Greeks, Byzantines and Romans represented the leopard a lot in their art, jewellery, coins and tombs. You have Dionysus in Ancient Greece and Argus Panoptes "Argos of a thousand eyes" whose eyes were transferred to the feathers of a peacock after he died. Arena leopards in Ancient Rome, pulling chariots, whole tombs of leopards in Etruscan, many Bible citations. Pre Columbian Meso American cultures ~ the light and dark, the pull of the sun and the moon across the sky; the Aztecs, Mayans and Olmec shamanism. The Native Americans protector of the universe or omen of death. "How the Leopard got its spots" from West African mythology and witches turning into leopards from the Makanga, Central Africa. Osebo in Ashanti folk tales. Leopard skin bow cases of Tibetan warrior deities. Fujin, the Shinto god of the wind in Japan. Leopards in French and English heraldry and in many countries' coats of arms. The snow leopard in Nepalese myths and traditions and as mountain spirits in Pakistan, Afghanistan and Central Asia. Embroidered on the robes of military officials in ancient China for their superior combat skills. When you look into it, leopards have always featured everywhere and with different meanings, cultural exchanges along The Silk Road and beyond. beautiful, mystical, magical creatures that they are I love you

(oh and leopards and peacocks both climb trees Smile )
splinty
splinty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Trollperle Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:24 pm

Wow Splinty, you are a Leopard encyclopedia Smile Love
Trollperle
Trollperle
BeadWrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by splinty Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:54 pm

Trollperle wrote:Wow Splinty, you are a Leopard encyclopedia Smile Love
Embarassed Embarassed Laughing I got a bit carried away there didn't I haha it's my fascination with ancient cultures, leopards pop up so much, I kept thinking of more and couldn't seem to stop silent I'm surprised you managed to stay awake to hear me out Laughing
splinty
splinty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalerie17 Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:01 am

In the ancient world, the peacock was considered a sacred bird of ancient Greek goddess Hera (Juno in Roman mythology), which, according to legend, gave him a thousand eyes of the deceased all-seeing Argus. According to some legends Hera turned Argus into a peacock. Spots on the skin of a leopard is often associated with a variety of eye Argus. Thank you, faerybeads for this quiz. Love
Kalerie17
Kalerie17
Trollbaby
Trollbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Trollperle Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:44 pm

splinty wrote:

Embarassed Embarassed Laughing I got a bit carried away there didn't I haha it's my fascination with ancient cultures, leopards pop up so much, I kept thinking of more and couldn't seem to stop silent I'm surprised you managed to stay awake to hear me out Laughing

I love this contest and I love to read everybody´s explanations, but yours has caught me and I keep coming back to re-read Smile
Trollperle
Trollperle
BeadWrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by Trollperle Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:47 pm

Totally awesome design. I will not participate because I cannot wear pendants due to it hurting my neck over time and I also was already so very lucky to win the lovely Italian Beads. I love to read all the explanations here and on the net (yes, I googled Wink ), though,  and I find it most interesting how many deities are associated with both animals. What I find most interesting is the white specimens of both of them. Very magickal animals I love you
Trollperle
Trollperle
BeadWrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsworld Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:27 am

great answers, especially Splinty! sunny

I will give an answer too....

what do leopard and peacock have in common?

Leopard Peacock...... lol! lol! lol! I tried! Very Happy Twisted Evil
Catsworld
Catsworld
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Trollperle Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:40 am

Catsworld wrote:great answers, especially Splinty! sunny

I will give an answer too....

what do leopard and peacock have in common?

Leopard   Peacock...... lol! lol! lol!    I tried! Very Happy Twisted Evil

lol!  I wish I had thought of that Smile

But seriously: From all the posts and from what I googled both are inherently magickal animals with eye-like patterns who stand for power and the afterlife, as well - Both are truly beautiful animals Love
Trollperle
Trollperle
BeadWrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by wilsche Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:52 pm

Hum...leopard and peacock...ha! They both are wonderful Faerybeads-Designs! Very Happy
wilsche
wilsche
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Fairy3 Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:54 pm

How clever!!
wilsche wrote:Hum...leopard and peacock...ha! They both are wonderful Faerybeads-Designs! Very Happy
Fairy3
Fairy3
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Faerybeads Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:07 am

splinty wrote:

Wow, you got us digging for even more! Laughing

So... I am delighted we could award you!
Faerybeads 'Crouching Leopard' Contest 26042015_Faerybeads_Leopard_contest_bt_winner_zpsimkmq3rw

Congratulations, Splinty!

Your prize ships as soon as possible!

Last edited by Faerybeads on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Faerybeads
Faerybeads
Fine Jewelry

https://www.facebook.com/faerybeads http://www.pinterest.com/faerybeads/faery-dust/ http://www.faerybeads.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by strike Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:08 am

Congrats Splinty! Smile
strike
strike
Troll Guru

http://www.blackbootslonglegs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Beady-Eyed Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:02 am

Woo hoo, Splinty!!! Well-deserved! leopard
Beady-Eyed
Beady-Eyed
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Post by minty Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:34 am

Ohhh yay Splinty, so happy for you. cheers Hug Smack
minty
minty
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next