BEADTHRILLED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So what is the real difference between antique flowers?

+21
lobby
Trolls
Fuzzyfeet
retiredk9racer
Amanda Mac (Dot)
Carla
Ninbey
lisajt
Pond
Silmaril
tonton
Smaug
Rainbow
LoopyLou
Lollipop
mermaidspurse
rainyday
snowy
kionee
Anna
idoru_meta
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

So what is the real difference between antique flowers? Empty So what is the real difference between antique flowers?

Post by idoru_meta Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:55 pm

This is probably going to sound silly, but so many people want these beads (I don't particularly like flower beads, so this doesn't include me) and I am trying to keep an eye out for other people but I am finding it really hard to spot "good" ones.

I mean I know that the new ones are a mauve/pale colour background and the old ones are green, but apparently there are two types of green ones, is it just the background that is darker or is it the colour of the flower that differs also? I don't want to get artificially excited about finding a bead for a friend and then mess it up Laughing.

Can someone post a comparison photo please? Bead-dazzled did an admirable job of explaining it to me, but a photo would make me feel much more secure if I come across one! Smile
idoru_meta
idoru_meta
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Back to top Go down

So what is the real difference between antique flowers? Empty Re: So what is the real difference between antique flowers?

Post by Anna Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:16 pm

My old AF's have both purple flowers and brilliant blue flowers. Quite different! Some of the base greens are more solid looking, while other are more translucent.

I don't have any new AF's, but adore my older ones just because of the different colors of the flowers. Very Happy

Edited to add a pic. Not the best but you get the idea of different colored flowers. Very Happy

So what is the real difference between antique flowers? Img7992y
Anna
Anna
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

http://www.angelofgrace.com

Back to top Go down

So what is the real difference between antique flowers? Empty Re: So what is the real difference between antique flowers?

Post by kionee Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:22 pm

The flowers can be in different colors (see Anne's picture) but also there's difference in the green. Sometimes there's just a green base with clear greenish glass on top, but there are AF where the glass on top isn't clear but full of green swirls. The purple in Anne's pic seems to have clear glass where it looks like the other has swirls in them Smile

I hope this helps?
kionee
kionee
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Post by idoru_meta Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:50 pm

Thanks both, which are the most desirable ones then? The clear green or the swirly green or does that just depend on the taste of each person?
idoru_meta
idoru_meta
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by snowy Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:52 pm

Here are two flowers where you can see the difference in the green base color.
It´s a matter of personal taste which color for the base and the flowers is best Wink

[img]So what is the real difference between antique flowers? Oldaf[/img]
snowy
snowy
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by rainyday Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:19 pm

I have a bunch of old AF's, and not one matches. I'll have to post a picture when I get my photo editing software for my new PC. Hopefully I can go shopping tomorrow, I'm trapped in the house with kids all this week.
rainyday
rainyday
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

http://trollgirl2.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mermaidspurse Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:27 pm

Here's mine. I'm ususally not a fan of flower beads either, but I love the colours of my old AF, I wouldn't want one with blue flower petals...
Others love them with the blue flower, so I'd ask people you are looking for if they prefer blue or violet flowers in their old AF's.

So what is the real difference between antique flowers? 3_favs
mermaidspurse
mermaidspurse
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by idoru_meta Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:53 pm

Snowy, that is exactly what I needed, thank you! Thank you everybody for your hel and input cheers
idoru_meta
idoru_meta
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lollipop Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:14 am

I think I have a photo of a few - now getting it to post may be a different matter...!
So what is the real difference between antique flowers? 39All_AF_2
So what is the real difference between antique flowers? 49All_AF_3
So what is the real difference between antique flowers? 48all_AF_1
Hope this works!

I LOVE this bead, one of my absolute favourites! When I first started collecting my aim was to have enough for a whole bracelet, and I have just found a my final one (not on pic). Very Happy

I love the ones with purple flowers, but I now have 2 with blue flowers, just to add a bit of interest Wink

I have noticed that there are 2 main types of old AF. The first (and the ones I actually found hardest to find) are the ones with the lovely sage colour green and violet flowers. The sage green does vary in shade, but the colour is the same if that makes sense :/ The other type has a brighter green with clearly pale blue flowers. I have a few that look as though they are somewhere in the middle, but on closer inspection I think they fall into the 'violet' group.
On the violet flower type I have seen the sage green glass vary from almost opaque to very translucent. On the pale blue flower type i have only seen translucent green glass, but it is often stripy.

Hope this helps!
(from a huge AF enthusiast Very Happy Embarassed )

Last edited by Lollipop on Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:21 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : I can't type :()
Lollipop
Lollipop
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Post by Lollipop Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:15 am

Oh the photos don't fit!! There are extra beads to the right! Can anyone help?! Sad
Lollipop
Lollipop
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Post by LoopyLou Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:31 am

Lollipop wrote:Oh the photos don't fit!! There are extra beads to the right! Can anyone help?! Sad

Not sure how to make the photo fit the page, but if the viewer double clicks on the photo, it'll open it out to show the whole picture x
LoopyLou
LoopyLou
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Lollipop Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:24 pm

I see somebody has fixed the photos, thank you!! Very Happy
Lollipop
Lollipop
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Post by Rainbow Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:37 pm

I have one and hope to find another in the future,they are truly beautiful and unique x
Rainbow
Rainbow
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Smaug Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:00 pm

Wow! Lollipop! For a sec I thought your LD was selling out... Shocked Very Happy
I only have one, and at the very last moment when Trollbeads sold these AF's. But if I see one like MMP's, or LLP's purplest ones I'd get it right away!
Smaug
Smaug
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/beadthrilled http://pinterest.com/source/beadthrilled.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tonton Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:18 pm

Lollipop wrote:I think I have a photo of a few - now getting it to post may be a different matter...!
So what is the real difference between antique flowers? 49All_AF_3
So what is the real difference between antique flowers? 48all_AF_1
Hope this works!

I LOVE this bead, one of my absolute favourites! When I first started collecting my aim was to have enough for a whole bracelet, and I have just found a my final one (not on pic). Very Happy

I love the ones with purple flowers, but I now have 2 with blue flowers, just to add a bit of interest Wink

I have noticed that there are 2 main types of old AF. The first (and the ones I actually found hardest to find) are the ones with the lovely sage colour green and violet flowers. The sage green does vary in shade, but the colour is the same if that makes sense :/ The other type has a brighter green with clearly pale blue flowers. I have a few that look as though they are somewhere in the middle, but on closer inspection I think they fall into the 'violet' group.
On the violet flower type I have seen the sage green glass vary from almost opaque to very translucent. On the pale blue flower type i have only seen translucent green glass, but it is often stripy.

Hope this helps!

SWEET CRAP Lollipop! Look at those AFs! I LOVE THEM!!! Smile
tonton
tonton
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Post by idoru_meta Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:07 pm

Lollipop they look so great all together like that. Glad you have the last one you needed to finish your bracelet! Smile
idoru_meta
idoru_meta
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by kionee Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:09 pm

Lollipop wrote:I think I have a photo of a few - now getting it to post may be a different matter...!

So what is the real difference between antique flowers? Slider_wow
I love your collection of AF's , they look so great together Cool
kionee
kionee
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Post by rainyday Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:35 am

So what is the real difference between antique flowers? 168466_1756280503308_1127825199_2019964_4036550_n

Here are all of my AF's on a bracelet. At first I tried to find ones that matched, and then I learned it was better to appreciate the variations in them.
rainyday
rainyday
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

http://trollgirl2.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Silmaril Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:42 am

I've also seen a big difference in how 'deep' the clear glass is. One of mine is clear virtually the whole way through (front), one is mossy almost the whole way through (right), the others in-between. obviously there is a difference in the colour and the level of definition of the flowers too.
https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/i/dsc04759e.jpg/
sorry - don't know how to insert images properly yet!
Silmaril
Silmaril
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Pond Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:35 pm

Hokie Smokes Lollipop, those are lovely. I have three and they vary form the sage green to the brighter green and the flowers from violet to blue.

I have found the flowers of new AFs vary as much as the flowers did in the old style.
Pond
Pond
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by lisajt Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:01 pm

I just found this thread. I am sooooo jealous. I love Antique Flowers but sadly only have one. Here is a picture of my one lonely AF. I really think it needs at least one friend, don't you?
So what is the real difference between antique flowers? DSCN0521
lisajt
lisajt
Trollbaby
Trollbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninbey Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:29 pm

Amazing collection of AFs, Lollipop! Very beautiful--even by themselves on a stick!
Ninbey
Ninbey
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Carla Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:27 pm

Here are mine on a combo:

So what is the real difference between antique flowers? IMG_1565
Carla
Carla
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Mac (Dot) Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:47 pm

Here are some of mine on a combo I made a while ago - I have swapped some of these for more translucent AFs now......

So what is the real difference between antique flowers? IMG_5566

and here is a more translucent one:

So what is the real difference between antique flowers? IMG_7330
Amanda Mac (Dot)
Amanda Mac (Dot)
Trolldiva

http://www.wikibeadia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by retiredk9racer Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:09 pm

Oh how I wish I had started collecting earlier!! All of the old AF's are beautiful but I think I like the translucent ones the best. However, if I were to ever come across one, I wouldn't leave a more opaque one behind - I would just be thankful to have found one!! Thank you all for sharing your pictures and please excuse me while I go wipe the drool off of my keyboard!! Wow
retiredk9racer
retiredk9racer
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next