BEADTHRILLED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Earth silver bead---oxidized?

5 posters

Go down

Big Earth silver bead---oxidized? Empty Big Earth silver bead---oxidized?

Post by LindaJo Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:48 am

All the Big Earth beads I've seen (the production ones since they've brought it "back") have that plasticky painted-look gray oxidization. Do any of them have real matte black oxidization? Or am I looking for what doesn't exist?
The question is a little more urgent since they are going to increase the price so much!

LindaJo
LindaJo
BeadWrangler

Back to top Go down

Big Earth silver bead---oxidized? Empty Re: Big Earth silver bead---oxidized?

Post by Trolldog Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:44 am

I don't like the gray either. Ever used Liver of Sulphur? Stinks like rotten eggs, but does a great job!!!
Trolldog
Trolldog
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by LindaJo Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:06 am

I would probably try the egg trick first, before buying the Liver of Sulfur. I wonder if it would really stick? It's an awfully large area of gray on Big Earth, oceans and oceans of it.
LindaJo
LindaJo
BeadWrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by Trolldog Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:01 am

Don't buy it. I can send you a chunk. It doesn't take much. The trick, or at least what works for me is doing the oxidizing in layers. I will put the piece in until it starts to turn, take it out, neutralize it and wash with soap. Then if that's not enough, do it again. You neutralize with baking soda and water. Once you finish, pour the soda and water in with the LOS, and it's safe to pour down the drain. I highly recommend doing this outside or in front of a window with plenty of fresh air! All of the piece will darken, but you can polish off the high spots you want to be bright. I've never done the egg, but I hear it works too. I think the LOS actually goes into the silver a bit, not sure if the egg does. Let me know if you want some.
Trolldog
Trolldog
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by ZAKLINZ Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:29 am

I love my Big Earth LindaJo and I think whatever you can do to make it look the way you want it to would be well worth the effort. I just went out today and purchased a few of the bigger silvers and The Seer because I just don't want to get stuck paying more later!
Rolling Eyes
ZAKLINZ
ZAKLINZ
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Trollsister Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:14 pm

It's a great bead LindaJo, just checked mine and it is quite dark....good luck!
Trollsister
Trollsister
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Treeinwind Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:34 pm

Mine is quite dark, but I think it is the gray that you don't like because it is a little shiny and not a matte black. I like the bead and it will tarnish and develop more patina over more time. If you like the bead in general I would go ahead and get one before the price goes up and try the egg and other trick. For being such a large bead I think it is pretty versatile.
Treeinwind
Treeinwind
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down