BEADTHRILLED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prisms - cheap looking or just wonderful?

+30
Rainbow
niceday
Silmaril
kionee
BethyCW
Bowerbird
casarobi
trollmoll
BeadBarmey
bubbagump
trollbelle
Pond
ceruleanbluebird
nanatrollie
lecohen
snowy
Tinka
lindakm
Molamola
Fairy3
Wildthing
Treeinwind
beadiack
Wintertroll
MollyMcD
neonfiller
Nancy
soxfan
kitsunegrl
Bluesybeads
34 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Prisms - cheap looking or just wonderful? Empty Prisms - cheap looking or just wonderful?

Post by Bluesybeads Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:03 am

This is a spin-off from another thread which tended to be a little Prisms - cheap looking or just wonderful? 715426, so Grumpy and I thought to make a new thread.

GRUMPY wrote:This is how I like the use of prisms, you found what I
did, the prisms can create that classic and yes a fabulous
feminine delicate look. With the pearls also, you used your pearls
as spacers but to me the look now lost Contrast.. i.e. the silver
creates a more 3d/contrast in the picture.

I have made designs up like this and love them .. Yours is lovely.
Ironically enough you can recreate this look with plastic beads for
as little as $5 and when you wear it this is what some people would
presume Embarassed which is not what a woman wants to achieve when she designs a bracelet.

I'm
not criticising your bracelet as I genuinely like it but it's a
comment I got from hubbie many years ago, a woman wears her jewelry
for her man, so he can show the world what he can afford to buy for her
and shine with it. It's an old attitude, and though we are working
girls; spending often, our own money could we have done this
without that rock in our life? Some jewelry I purchased from my own
income, I like it, I buy it, it's my money! However, if I had been
not working or as I am now; retired the food on the table, the
heating etc etc currently is paid by my husband's pension, my
pennies are mine to do with what I want. As little as there is
lately. So the $5 comment struck me, as in a way it seems wrong to
have something as jewelry that could look like a $5 piece when we
all know you paid ??????? big bucks.. Food for thought?

I
may have started a new discussion here ooops didnot mean to hijack
your thread but I do love your bracelet combination and that is the
most important.. you got the talking stick back lol

Bluesybeads wrote:

GRUMPY wrote:Ironically
enough you can recreate this look with plastic beads for as little as
$5 and when you wear it this is what some people would presume Embarassed which is not what a woman wants to achieve when she designs a bracelet.

Grumpy,
you do have a point there, and maybe it should have a thread of its
own. I must admit that I have said the exact same thing as I think the
prisms look cheap and made of plastic. I have seen so many cheap plastic
prisms that I have had difficulty liking the TB prisms. That said, I
have liked the rainbow of colours some people have made of the prisms,
and when shopping TB I have actually acquired 5 of these
"plastic-looking" prisms just because they appealed to me and had
stunning depth and colouring. Prisms - cheap looking or just wonderful? 633486 Well what to do about this? The TB prisms are much nicer than the plastic ones Exclamation

So what do you think?

Are prisms looking cheap or are they wonderful Question

Please participate in this discussion Very Happy

Let us know what you think Exclamation
Bluesybeads
Bluesybeads
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Prisms - cheap looking or just wonderful? Empty Re: Prisms - cheap looking or just wonderful?

Post by kitsunegrl Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:04 am

Well, I currently only have the old pink prism, and I think it is dynamite.

However, I used to not like the prisms because I thought they looked like the cheap plastic beads you could buy by the buckets at the dime store.

In the past year, I have come to appreciate the sparkle and oomph they offer a combo and look forward to adding more to my collection.

I guess I have also reached the point where I don't care what other people think about me or my accessories. I happily mix my TB with 40 year old yellow gold jewelry; wear Louis Vuitton with $5 flip-flops; etc.

kitsunegrl
kitsunegrl
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Prisms - cheap looking or just wonderful? Empty Re: Prisms - cheap looking or just wonderful?

Post by soxfan Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:10 am

I was never interested in prisms, either. Now I have 2 retired pink prisms, the retired red/pink prism, the green/grey one, and the anniversary prism. I love them and will probably buy more.
soxfan
soxfan
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Nancy Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:49 am

I really love prisms. I have a green, yellow, 2 dark turquoise, and a dark red, purple and a pale pink one. I would love love love to have a retired pink prism some day. I will happily buy more in the future. I think they add alot to a bracelet. The dark turquoise are gorgeous that's why I have 2.
Nancy
Nancy
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Post by neonfiller Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:51 am

There is no comparison with the trollbeads prisms and cheaper versions. I like the blockier cut that troll does, as well as the little variations in the colors. If I wanted blingier... I'd have to go with Novo beads. I think their prisms are fabulous!!
neonfiller
neonfiller
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyMcD Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:38 am

I like many of the Novo silvers, too.
MollyMcD
MollyMcD
Trollbaby
Trollbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Wintertroll Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:58 am

I love the TB prisms. I like how the light hits them. I have all the current production ones and slowly I am adding the harder to find ones to my collection. I wish TB would add a new prism to the collection.
Wintertroll
Wintertroll
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by beadiack Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:28 am

I like some sparkle. I don't think I'd use more than 1 prism on a bracelet but a number of the combos I've put together have a prism.

Interestingly, my favorite one is some generic glass I got from eBay. It's dark amber brown glass but it flashes purple in the light. I love it. I doubt I paid much more than $5 for it but you couldn't get it from me for $50. Wish I could take a pic that demonstrates what it does but you've just got to see it in motion to appreciate it.

What I like about TB's prisms is that they have lots more facets than the less expensive ones.

beadiack
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Post by Treeinwind Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:10 am

Cheap looking, sparkly and absolutely wonderful! I think our beads are just grown up version of those cheap plastic pop in beads we played with as kids. Now those would sort of look cheap to wear as an adult.
Treeinwind
Treeinwind
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildthing Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:39 am

It seems to be common to dismiss the prisms as cheap and trashy when you first discover Troll and then later to fall head over heels for them. I love them now and have rather a lot, after thinking they were totally awful when I first saw them.

I think they bring something wonderful to a design, and I also love to see all prism bracelets, whether mixed with silvers, pearls or just totally alone, they are bright, light and sparkly.

I would be love to know where I could re-create that look for $5 Shocked, I would be shopping there like a shot Laughing

I'm afraid the feminist in me takes massive umbrage to to idea that any jewelry I wear is a reflection of my other half's wealth or desire to spend on me, it makes my brain bleed a little, sorry.
Wildthing
Wildthing
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Fairy3 Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 am

I didn't like the prisms at first I had the "old"pink prism for years but didn't have a clue what to combine it with until the empowerment beads came out.

I have the dark red and the red\pink ones and loved those instantly they go so well with the black beads I started with.

Only since last summer I fell in love with al kinds of colors.

And in all fairness I think if you are not into troll I think one might think the same about all other trollbeads as being cheap for no one in there right mind would ever think we would spend so much on glass??

So I think in this case the beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say and in this case I think that is mostly the one who is wearing them Laughing Wink
Fairy3
Fairy3
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildthing Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:34 am

And in all fairness I think if you are not into troll I think one might think the same about all other trollbeads as being cheap for no one in there right mind would ever think we would spend so much on glass??

That is another really good point, there is a lovely lady who I walk my dog with on the park, she once spotted my bracelet and said 'Oh that's pretty, I have seen those in Next' (inexpensive high street shop).

The next time I saw her, she was sporting one, very pleased with herself, she said, 'Look I got one, just like yours' and really couldn't see the difference.

She has since told me in shocked tones about Pandora and expressed her astonishment that anyone would pay around £500 for a bracelet made of glass and silver and arn't we sensible to buy cheap ones.

I don't have the heart to put her right about mine, so I just nod and smile Laughing
Wildthing
Wildthing
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Molamola Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:42 am

Before I had any or ever saw them on a bracelet i thought they looked plasticky too. However after I discovered TB forums and saw them in usein other people's desogns I changed my mind. I have 16 now and you will rarely see a combo of mine which doesn't include a prism. i think they provide interest and texture in a design and I also love all-prism bracelets especially with the "busier" silvers like the Chinese silvers.

I don't think they look like plastic, there is a distinct difference which you can see when you look at them IRL.

However, it doesn't matter to me what other people think about them, I wear them because they give ME pleasure.
Molamola
Molamola
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Fairy3 Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:49 am

Wildthing wrote:And in all fairness I think if you are not into troll I think one might think the same about all other trollbeads as being cheap for no one in there right mind would ever think we would spend so much on glass??

That is another really good point, there is a lovely lady who I walk my dog with on the park, she once spotted my bracelet and said 'Oh that's pretty, I have seen those in Next' (inexpensive high street shop).

The next time I saw her, she was sporting one, very pleased with herself, she said, 'Look I got one, just like yours' and really couldn't see the difference.

She has since told me in shocked tones about Pandora and expressed her astonishment that anyone would pay around £500 for a bracelet made of glass and silver and arn't we sensible to buy cheap ones.

Laughing Laughing that is so funny, I wouldn't tell her either as long as she's happy don't spoil it.
It's so nice one can be so happy even when it's not expensive Very Happy
That's the weird thing with me!! if you would see me on the street you would probably NEVER guess I would love this jewelry so much. I hardly ever wear make-up don't care to much for clothes only on occasionally if my hubby and I go out Laughing
I don't LOVE shoes oddly enough Laughing But I just LOVE trollies Very Happy

I don't have the heart to put her right about mine, so I just nod and smile Laughing
Fairy3
Fairy3
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by lindakm Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:17 am

I just read this tread, and I must admit, I have never made the connection between prisms and plastic beads. I love mine, and have at least one on almost every bracelet. I love the sparkle and the depth of colour. This is the bracelet I am wearing today, and it is almost all prisms. I hope you like it!
Prisms - cheap looking or just wonderful? Img_4415
lindakm
lindakm
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinka Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:37 am

I'm afraid the feminist in me takes massive umbrage to to idea that any jewelry I wear is a reflection of my other half's wealth or desire to spend on me, it makes my brain bleed a little, sorry.

Agree
some hubby's just don't get it Fool .....replace them

Anyway: I love prisms no matter what they look like. To me they look like prisms.
Tinka
Tinka
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by snowy Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:44 am

Wildthing wrote:A

Not many people would believe how much money we pay for our little beads.
If you want Ohs and Ahs from others you must go for a blingy diamond bracelet or something that is easily recognized by everybody. But I don´t wear my bracelet for that reason - I wear it because I love it and every bead is special to me Very Happy

I do like the prisms in combo as they add some sparkle.
snowy
snowy
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by lecohen Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:54 am

I don't own any prisms yet as have not been able to get the ones I want so prioritised other beads but I always thought prisms were more fragile and susceptible to chips
lecohen
lecohen
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Molamola Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:35 pm

Wildthing wrote:

I don't think you need to apologise. I agree, I am not an object nor someone's status symbol. Jewelry is decorative and in any case should never, ever shout out "aye am considerably richer than yew" even if (or especially when) it is very expensive.
Molamola
Molamola
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Wintertroll Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:08 pm

lindakm wrote:I just read this tread, and I must admit, I have never made the connection between prisms and plastic beads. I love mine, and have at least one on almost every bracelet. I love the sparkle and the depth of colour. This is the bracelet I am wearing today, and it is almost all prisms. I hope you like it!
Prisms - cheap looking or just wonderful? Img_4415

This combo is just gorgeous! I don't think I would ever want to take it apart!
Wintertroll
Wintertroll
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by nanatrollie Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:51 pm

Wintertroll's bracelet . . . fabulous! . . . I love that turquoisy green one especially Like a Star @ heaven
nanatrollie
nanatrollie
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by beadiack Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:36 pm

lecohen wrote:I don't own any prisms yet as have not been able to get the ones I want so prioritised other beads but I always thought prisms were more fragile and susceptible to chips

I certainly haven't noticed that. I wear my TBs all the time doing all the things I do. I marvel all the time that the glass holds up to clinking together and against my stone counters and whatever punishment I subject my hands and them to. The prisms among them are no different. They're sparkly but they're survivors! Wink

beadiack
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Post by Molamola Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:44 pm

beadiack wrote:
lecohen wrote:I don't own any prisms yet as have not been able to get the ones I want so prioritised other beads but I always thought prisms were more fragile and susceptible to chips

I certainly haven't noticed that. I wear my TBs all the time doing all the things I do. I marvel all the time that the glass holds up to clinking together and against my stone counters and whatever punishment I subject my hands and them to. The prisms among them are no different. They're sparkly but they're survivors! Wink

Indeed. the only chipped beads that I own were damaged when I fell on the ice and you wouldn't even notice them if they weren't pointed out to you. I have found my TBs to be very hard wearing.
Molamola
Molamola
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by ceruleanbluebird Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:31 am

I bought almost all the production prisms this month Embarassed because I got them on sale from LDs that are calling it quits. I don't have the new pink or the gray ones. I may be missing one of the turquoise, too. I haven't been able to log the purchases as they are not officially mine yet.

I think they add visual interest to a bracelet.
ceruleanbluebird
ceruleanbluebird
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Pond Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:31 am

I didn't care for Prisms at first, but then I hadn't worn bracelets for over 45 years until 2009, when my husband gave me my first Trollbead bracelet as an anniversary present. As he has been retired for several years, almost all of my beads have been purchased with the money I earned doing my part-time job. Now my husband has been instrumental in buying the Chakras and most of the stones in my collection but almost all the glass, Prisms, silvers and mixed silver/gold beads have been paid for by me.

I became enamored with the Prisms about the same time I caught Amber fever last winter when I discovered how they brought light to my Picassa Jasper designs.
Pond
Pond
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next