BEADTHRILLED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pandora facing a tempest

+23
trollcat
busy bee
Dorabella
Brightonbelle
retiredk9racer
Wintertroll
lecohen
trolladdict
saracat
trollmoll
gypsy_grrrl
Trolls
Smaug
SnorkMaiden
Chuck
Beadgirl
Bluesybeads
snowy
Mouseoncheese
Trolldog
Wildthing
Molamola
BeadThrilled
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pandora facing a tempest - Page 2 Empty Re: Pandora facing a tempest

Post by Dorabella Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:30 pm

There seems to be so much fake pandora abroad. I've had many people come home from holidays saying that Pandora are so cheap abroad. Maybe some people don't mind fake?
Dorabella
Dorabella
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Brightonbelle Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:33 pm

Lots of people cheerfully carry fake handbags bought on market stalls.
Brightonbelle
Brightonbelle
Beadaddict

Back to top Go down

Post by Smaug Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:54 pm

Updated with a new article from the Professional Jeweler:
http://www.professionaljeweller.com/article-9817-no-love-lost-for-pandora-from-trade/
Smaug
Smaug
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/beadthrilled http://pinterest.com/source/beadthrilled.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Trolldog Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:09 pm

I find this quote very interesting:
"...pressures being put on them by this one brand to buy more and more stock or risk losing their place in the hierarchy. Its the fostering of this kind of monoculture that has damaged diversity and innovation in jewellery retail for several years now. Pandora aren't the only culprits but they're certainly the main one at the moment."

Wonder who else might be guilty of this?????

Trolldog
Trolldog
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by trollmoll Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:42 pm

Smaug wrote:Updated with a new article from the Professional Jeweler:
http://www.professionaljeweller.com/article-9817-no-love-lost-for-pandora-from-trade/
Very interesting reading. I hope that TB is taking notes. In trying to get ahead, P resorted to repellant business practices. Some of these were similar to what a certain distributor, who was recently booted, was doing with TB.
trollmoll
trollmoll
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by snowy Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:45 am

TFS this article - very interesting !
snowy
snowy
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Smaug Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:46 pm

Apparently there's going to be 'much ado' about it:
http://www.retail-jeweller.com/a-z/pandora/pandoras-float-investigated-as-police-called-in/5028268.article
Smaug
Smaug
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/beadthrilled http://pinterest.com/source/beadthrilled.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by busy bee Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:00 pm

Thank you I have really enjoyed reading these articles. I have heard from many jewelers about what an unpleasant comapny Pandora has been to deal with and about their supply issues.
I am in Germany at the moment and Pandora is everywhere, it is a well known and popular brand and Germans do like a known high quality brand. There is TB here ( apparentely quite a lot ) but you have to go looking and it's never obvious, whereas Pandora is in all the top jewelers on the high street and in the department stores.
In many ways I feel Pandora has shot itself in the foot and become too greedy and what has happened is kharma. They had/have a good product and were very smart on the marketing which is whay they became succesful but they then greed got the better of them. Their product became a bit of a fashion accessory and some have tired of it. Also the constant price increases has made people turn away and jewelers who dropped them a while back have stocked similar products ( Chamilla, love links ), there is also the fake/ cheap imitation issues too.
I really hope that Troll HQ learn a valuable lessson here as many ( myself included ) feel they have been going along a similar route. Mad

busy bee
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by trollcat Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:38 pm

Thank you for the interesting links and articles Exclamation I recently visited a Pandora concept store (first time I've ever even seen Pandora), and while the beads held no interest, I was quite taken with the chains, macrame bracelets, rings and earrings selection. Seems they have positioned their product line to allow for a collapse in the "bead fad".
This is the most pertinent: " In a damning critique of what has gone wrong Leighton blamed the once-feted and fast-growing company's loss of form on "poor execution" and successive price increases which alienated an increasingly hard-up mass market customer base."
Hellooooo Troll, anybody there? I haven't bought a new bead at my LD's for months; seeing a $43 price tag on the new glass UU beads just makes me shake my head and walk by. After taxes, 2 UU beads costs closer to $100 than I care to spend. Really much too much.
trollcat
trollcat
Bead Whisperer

Back to top Go down

Post by soxfan Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:42 pm

I miss coming home with 4 beads for $100, not 2.
soxfan
soxfan
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by beadiack Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:20 pm

I agree with you, trollcat, that Pandora has more to offer in the way of earrings. I wish I could afford some of the semi-precious stone dangles but I have a pair of the spiral hooks that I use almost everyday. I have an enormous trove of convention sized hole beads and I raid it constantly for beads and combinations I can put on eye pins and hang from my Pandora hooks. I have even bought earrings -- like a recent pair of earrings with Lion's Paw beads -- and taken them off the hooks they came with to hang them from my Pandora hooks.

beadiack
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisylove Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:01 pm

Interesting all of this, but it doesn't come as a surprise to be honest.
The 'sudden' move where the distributor for The Netherlands, Belgium and Germany was shuffed aside, and a new distributor took over.

LD's complaining about competitive marketing campaigns where Pandora announced their starter bracelet with one bead on it (where did we hear this one before), but LD's who ordered, had to wait more than one month before they were actually supplied with the stuff they had ordered. Very difficult especially because this was happening during the busy months, November and December.

I know of several LD's who have ended their relationship with Pandora, just because all of these issues. Not to mention stores in the US who were actually forced by Pandora to make a choise between Pandora OR Trollbeads....
Daisylove
Daisylove
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle1836 Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:25 am

By opening up their own concept stores, they hurt the smaller retailers who were loyal to them. Consumers in this economy favor the small home town retailer over the big company. I hope that TB pays attention and doesn't make the same mistake.

michelle1836
Trollbaby
Trollbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Wintertroll Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:58 am

All of this makes me rather nervous about what could happen to TB. I am untrained in this, but it seems both companies have been employing similar business tactics. So if Pandora is tanking, will TB be next? Or are they a stronger company?

Wintertroll
Wintertroll
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by busy bee Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:23 pm

I notice that in the UK and Germany there are lots of Pandora deals- here in Germany it sems to be every shop is advertising a free bracelet or bead ! maybe TB should take note.

busy bee
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2