BEADTHRILLED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragon Hunter

+6
strike
Trollperle
Fleur
ZAKLINZ
kyhalfpt
Trollsister
10 posters

Go down

Dragon Hunter Empty Dragon Hunter

Post by Trollsister Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:23 pm

Trying to make my own version of a starter bracelet and decided to use the new Dragonfly bead, it's just so cute. I got 2 of them and think I will use them often! Haven't posted a combo for a while, hope you enjoy this and find it interesting. Very Happy With apologies for the long post, I have included some information I copied from the web about the dragonfly. It seemed especially appropriate in light of the Easter Dragon release.

Dragon Hunter Starte10

Dragon Hunter Starte11

"The largest dragonflies, called Dragon Hunters, can capture and eat the largest of insects. They are so large that they can even capture and kill a hummingbird.

Like dragons, dragonflies have been immortalized in mythology all over the world. In fact, the name comes from a dragon.

Native Americans believe the insect was actually once a dragon who was tricked into shape-shifting to the form of a dragonfly by a coyote. Once the dragon took the form of the dragonfly, it couldn’t shift back.

To the Native Americans, the dragonfly represents swiftness, illusion and change, which are three characteristics attributed to this insect around the world. These beautiful insects have also been seen as evil in many cultures. The nickname “devil’s darning needle” came from the myth that dragonflies would seek out bad children and sew their mouths shut while they slept.

The nickname “snake doctor” came from the myth that dragonflies would follow snakes and either sew them together if they were injured, or bring them back to life. Not all cultures thought of them in negative terms, however. Dragonflies once served as a sign for fishermen. Wherever it hovered, there were plenty of fish to be caught, or if it hovered over the fisherman it was thought to bring good luck.

Historically, dragonfly symbolism was used in love spells and it was thought that dragonflies were lucky. Today, it is more commonly used to help one let go of the past, assist in transforming one’s life and understanding dreams. The dragonfly is considered in many pagan cultures as having magical attributes similar to that of a butterfly. They also believe that dragonflies can travel between dimensions, and are messengers of dreams and illusions.

Dragonflies can also be omens. If a dragonfly lands on you it is seen to be good luck. Seeing a dragonfly in dreams or if one suddenly appears in your life, it is a sign of caution. Something in your life is hidden from view, or the truth is being kept from you."

I have always considered them good luck and consider myself fortunate if one lands on me. Very Happy
Trollsister
Trollsister
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Dragon Hunter Empty Re: Dragon Hunter

Post by kyhalfpt Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:19 pm

Looks like a great start! Love the photo!

I also consider it good luck when a dragonfly lands on me!!!
kyhalfpt
kyhalfpt
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by ZAKLINZ Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:23 pm

What a great post, thank you for sharing! I was familiar with the sewing of children's mouths myth (quite possibly used as a tool to keep the young me in line), but the rest was all new to me. Great choice of glass to compliment your new friend.
ZAKLINZ
ZAKLINZ
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:59 pm

Thank you for sharing the most interesting info and lovely pics.  Very Happy
I enjoy to watch dragonflies at the pond.
Fleur
Fleur
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Trollperle Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:41 pm

Thank you for your fantastic post. I did not know any of this about the dragonfly but always admired them for their elven beauty. The dragonfly already is on my wish list and now I even wish for this little silver dragoneatingfly more Smile I love you
Trollperle
Trollperle
BeadWrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by Trollsister Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:32 pm

Thank you all, so glad you enjoyed the dragonfly lore! Group hug I have always found them beautiful but didn't know much of this either and found it so fascinating. Especially the shape-shifting from a dragon belief and the belief that they can travel between dimensions, how intriguing! Now I have lots of ideas in my mind for completing this combo. Very Happy
Trollsister
Trollsister
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by strike Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:11 pm

The glass bead you choose is perfect for your little dragonfly! And thank you for sharing the lore, it's always interesting to hear stories like that Smile I hadn't heard the connection with dragons before.
strike
strike
Troll Guru

http://www.blackbootslonglegs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by plumbun Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:01 am

oh what a great narrative and photos. i'd been wanting to see an irl pic of this bead. Hooray!
plumbun
plumbun
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by frosted Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:55 pm

What a lovely bead! What is that lock? Is it one of the limited edition locks?

frosted
Trollbaby
Trollbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsworld Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:09 pm

thank you so much! I had no idea that dragonflies are considered to bring you luck! really amazing!

and your lucky combo is so charming, now I will have to have a closer look at that little bead, that's for sure! sunny Love
Catsworld
Catsworld
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Trollsister Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:58 am

Thank you for your kind comments, ladies! I love you I am very happy that you have enjoyed learning about the dragonfly, such a beautiful and fascinating creature. I have to admit that I am more smitten than ever after learning these things myself. I wish for a larger, more detailed Dragon Hunter bead now! Smile

frosted, that is the Water Lock, it was introduced in the fall of 2013 and is part of the regular TB collection. Very Happy
Trollsister
Trollsister
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by TrollEcat Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:49 pm

I very much enjoyed to read about the symbolism and mythology of dragon flies. Thank you for sharing! They are really beautiful creatures and your combo is lovely!!!
TrollEcat
TrollEcat
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Back to top Go down