BEADTHRILLED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Faerybeads Spring Contest

+29
Enaktra
Beady-Eyed
Smaug
snowy
trollbelle
Tuesday's Child
Trollsister
vampbutterfly
Arineso
cshynkaruk
bubbagump
Trollfan
Catsworld
My 4 Trollboys
Cloverbead
Pandabee(uk)
minty
splinty
Mini Gnome
Trollperle
BamBam
Alegria
reltan
Michelle
Mayaa
Kathleen
Daisylove
Kimberly Campbell
Faerybeads
33 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

faerybeads - Faerybeads Spring Contest - Page 3 Empty Re: Faerybeads Spring Contest

Post by Smaug Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:56 am

bubbagump wrote: A few days ago, I knew nothing about Ostuni, Orvieto, or Siena.  I can tell my husband that beads can be educational too! Very Happy
Isn't it amazing? Laughing
Smaug
Smaug
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/beadthrilled http://pinterest.com/source/beadthrilled.com/

Back to top Go down

faerybeads - Faerybeads Spring Contest - Page 3 Empty Re: Faerybeads Spring Contest

Post by Beady-Eyed Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:58 am

Yes, I spent a couple of hours looking at architectural details for dozens of towns around Italy! I love contests like these! Congrats to Trollbelle, you seemed to have nailed it!
Beady-Eyed
Beady-Eyed
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Post by Trollsister Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:07 am

DH was looking at pictures with me, trying to figure it out. Smile Great fun and learned a lot too! Now I really want to go to Ostuni... Very Happy
Trollsister
Trollsister
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Arineso Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:20 am

Bubbagump Great! Yes indeed, it is Ostuni - I could never knew before. First pic of the Cathedral dome's pattern is truly match.
Faerybeads thank you for the Contest!

I've stated Perugia because of this place name = Peru + gia Wink  It means that peruvian pattern is looks like the one of spherical Bead shown (Please don't laugh on me Smile ). Yes, there is no obviously relation between Peru and Perugia but I thought maybe 'play of words' it is.  Plus there are many alike archs through Perugia's architectures and I saw resembling wheel-like element there and ...  famous Umbria olives and grapes.
Arineso
Arineso
Trollbaby
Trollbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsworld Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:43 am

wow...DetectiveTrollbelle, very clever!
Congrats! sunny cat
Catsworld
Catsworld
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by bubbagump Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:34 am

Trollperle wrote:My guess is Florence, as well Smile

Edited with new guess on Sunday, 22.03.2015: Ostuni Smile

cheers cheers cheers cheers Like Like Like well done Hurray Hurray Hurray Jump Jump Italy Sunshine
bubbagump
bubbagump
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Smaug Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:26 pm

I've seen many glorious architectural buildings and each has its own unique features. However this pattern I'd never seen before. Compared to the magnificent cathedrals and churches in other places this Baroque church is rather plain but for its dome. There are actually two remarkable domes in the 'old town', both patterns have been applied in the spherical bead, though we slightly modified the diamond shaped pattern of one dome in our design. The buildings are: Concattedrale di Santa Maria dell' Assunzione with its extraordinary rose window and the diamond patterned cupola (dome), and  La Chiesa di San Vito Martire with its unique zig-zag patterned cupola.

More info: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostuni (using google translate you can learn a much more about this interesting region compared to the english pages)

BTW, do you know what tiles they used for the cupola?

Personally, I find the beauty and splendor of the architecture at the popular sites often overwhelming. So I ended up in Southern Italy, which offers besides many historic and architectural sites also a charming genuineness that I often miss at other places. Unfortunately the decay of these historic buildings is clearly visible.

I figured the answer would not have been that hard to find, but I was mistaken. While the contest would end April 5th expecting more correct answers already soon after the start of this contest, I believe it would be fair to reward those who gave the right answer first. Very Happy
Smaug
Smaug
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/beadthrilled http://pinterest.com/source/beadthrilled.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Trollperle Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:36 pm

Smaug wrote:

bubbagump wrote: A few days ago, I knew nothing about Ostuni, Orvieto, or Siena.  I can tell my husband that beads can be educational too! Very Happy

Isn't it amazing? Laughing

Beads are totally amazing and very educational Smile And I love the internet with all its pictures - one guess leads to another one and then there it was and I loved all the little towns and cities I found and I really would love to take a vacation in a „Trulli“ (a Sarazene dwelling I understand plus it really resembles „Trollie“ Wink )
Trollperle
Trollperle
BeadWrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by Enaktra Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:51 pm

Oooh nice contest and great detectives! Ostuni wow. Now I want to go visit Italy. Well, granted I've always wanted to visit Europe more. Someday. Smile

Enaktra
Enaktra
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

https://www.facebook.com/charmsforatroll http://charmsforatroll.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsworld Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:36 pm

oh... Trollperle had found it out, sorry for having overseen that, and of course, Congrats to being a winner then! sunny cat Like
well done!
Catsworld
Catsworld
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by trollbelle Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:38 pm

Congratulations to all that entered and to Trollperle for her early entry! sunny   I have visited most regions in magical Italy and now of course, hope to go back and experience this wonderful dome Shocked ...  hmmm, and also try Puglia's great wine and olive oil!  drunken

Thanks Sita for focusing on some unsung gems.  I hope your striking beads will motivate us all to cherish and protect our treasured places... I love you  I love you
trollbelle
trollbelle
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Svetlanica Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:44 pm

Venezia....Basilica di San Marco
I'd like to hope I'm right!)
Come to Moscow!) Here love you, too!)
Svetlanica
Svetlanica
Trollbaby
Trollbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by bubbagump Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:56 pm

Smaug wrote:)  BTW, do you know what tiles they used for the cupola?

I'm not sure, but I read that they used brightly painted slate tiles, and I read that they represent fish scales (not sure if that is true).  

Did you make a fish scales bead too?

I also read that the Rose Window "Superbly Chiseled like lace" is considered among the greatest and most spellbinding ones in Europe based on a complex symbolism relating to the passing of time.  

I think that was very beautiful to find out.  

Personally, I feel because of the color of the stone used in the Rose Window and the white wash effect of the town and the fact that there is no intricately designed colored stained glass window behind the Rose Window, the lace like detail appears in the best possible way keeping all the focus on the intricate detail.  A busy colored stained glass window would have taken away from the delicate detail.      

Tell us more about the tiles and Trulli.
bubbagump
bubbagump
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Trollperle Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:54 pm

This is what Wikipedia says about Trulli en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trullo

And if you google for pictures there are some fantastic hotel trulli out there - I for sure fell in love with these earthy structures and they remind me a bit of Troll Homes Smile

Smaug wrote:I figured the answer would not have been that hard to find, but I was mistaken. While the contest would end April 5th expecting more correct answers already soon after the start of this contest, I believe it would be fair to reward those who gave the right answer first. Very Happy

You are very kind, dearest Smaug Hug
Trollperle
Trollperle
BeadWrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by Beady-Eyed Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:06 pm

I didn't realize Trollperle had made the correct answer even earlier than Trollbelle. Congratulations to Trollperle and thanks to Faerybeads for all the fun we all had searching!
Beady-Eyed
Beady-Eyed
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Post by Trollsister Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:36 pm

Congratulations Trollperle, great sleuthing there! cheers

Wonderful challenge, thanks for the fun! Very Happy
Trollsister
Trollsister
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Trollperle Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:54 pm

Thank you all my dears for the congrats and most of all to Sita for this challenge Smile But I am not the only one who found wonderful Ostuni Smile
Trollperle
Trollperle
BeadWrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsworld Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:58 pm

who else Trollperle? just out of curiosity? sunny
Catsworld
Catsworld
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Trollperle Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:02 pm

Catsworld wrote:who else Trollperle? just out of curiosity? sunny

I took a shot at it after hours of googling Italian architecture Smile
Trollbelle agreed, then
Trollsister, then
Minty, and
Kathleen posted pics
and so we also persuaded Bubbagump Smile
and then Arineso agreed, as well Smile

And then Smaug confirmed it sort of bounce  I hope I did not forget anybody Hug And I really hope we had it right Laughing
Trollperle
Trollperle
BeadWrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by Catsworld Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:04 pm

oh... that would be nice, so many winners! Congrats to All of you! sunny
Catsworld
Catsworld
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Faerybeads Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:08 am

Available from April 24th - Faerybeads Domes

Don't forget to check back for the winner of our contest on Sunday April 5th!

faerybeads - Faerybeads Spring Contest - Page 3 Faerybeads_Domes_Views_zpst41eiben
Faerybeads
Faerybeads
Fine Jewelry

https://www.facebook.com/faerybeads http://www.pinterest.com/faerybeads/faery-dust/ http://www.faerybeads.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Faerybeads Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:17 pm

Thank you everyone for playing! It was exciting to see so many of you hunting for the answer!

Congratulations to:
faerybeads - Faerybeads Spring Contest - Page 3 050415_contest_winner_bt_zpssoxlritg
Faerybeads
Faerybeads
Fine Jewelry

https://www.facebook.com/faerybeads http://www.pinterest.com/faerybeads/faery-dust/ http://www.faerybeads.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Alegria Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:28 pm

Congratulations!
Alegria
Alegria
Trollbaby
Trollbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Pandabee(uk) Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:42 pm

Congratulations Trollperle !! Wee
Pandabee(uk)
Pandabee(uk)
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Arineso Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:21 pm

Congratulations Hurray Trollperle Best wishes
Arineso
Arineso
Trollbaby
Trollbaby

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next