BEADTHRILLED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Got my amethyst!

+7
LindaJo
Gail201
Blairkj
ceruleanbluebird
Fleur
Trollperle
minky
11 posters

Go down

Got my amethyst! Empty Got my amethyst!

Post by minky Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:51 am

The store I went to had around 7 amethysts in stock, and this one easily stood out as the darkest and richest purple. My birthday isn't until next month (which is when I'd planned to get it), but I couldn't let this one get away!
Got my amethyst! Wlazq8

Also almost came home with a bangle, which is what I went there to get in the first place, but the silver ones seem a little thick and the copper ones (perfect thickness imo and beautiful color!) smell yucky. Was also going for the chakra rainbow, however the only one they had in stock was really dark... maybe next time!

I've always coveted the retired Amethyst Stone bead, but seeing as that's a super long shot I'm very happy with this version of the amethyst!

Feel free to share pictures of how you use your amethyst. I'm also interested in seeing silver bangle combos, I know I'd like a bangle eventually but the thickness is a bit offputting (or if you have a copper one, how do you deal with the smell??).
minky
minky
Trollbaby
Trollbaby

Back to top Go down

Got my amethyst! Empty Re: Got my amethyst!

Post by Trollperle Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:05 am

A very lovely stone and combo - it was surely meant for you Smile Your lucky dragon really looks so happy Smile

I did not fall in love with my bangle at first sight, but I love it now for its versatility Smile And I did not realize that the copper bangle smelled, until you said it. I just cleaned mine yesterday with a piece of lemon on which I put salt, and it is now all shiny and does not smell at all, so I would guess it might smell more when it has been worn and the copper has reacted more with skin, skin care products and sweat and the like. But even then I do not really mind, I find it kind of „earthy“ Smile

I posted these before, but here are some of my bangles for inspiration -
the possibilities really are limitless Smile

Got my amethyst! Bangle32

Got my amethyst! Bangle29

Got my amethyst! Bangle19
Trollperle
Trollperle
BeadWrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by minky Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:18 am

Interesting enough, I just finished googling why copper smells, and found out it's a reaction with our bodies rather than the smell of the copper itself! So perhaps the bangles I sniffed in the store had just been handled by too many people... maybe if I got one myself and cleaned it up properly it would smell nice..r. I didn't like the metallic tangy "money" smell the store bangles had; do your copper bangles smell different from coins?

Thanks for sharing those lovely pictures! May I ask if you find yourself reaching for the silver or copper bangle more often? Which do you prefer, and why?
minky
minky
Trollbaby
Trollbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Trollperle Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:23 am

Yes, I would also recommend to clean it thoroughly when you get it. A piece of lemon, some salt on it and then gently rubbing the copper, afterwards holding it under running water and then gently drying it should do the trick Smile - I got this tip from Nadia Katzenmayer´s website and it works really well.

I wear the silver more often because I like to wear a bangle that matches the bracelet. But I love the copper the same or maybe even more because it looks warmer and has a comforting vibe for me. The silver often goes to work with me and the copper comes out to play in the evenings Smile
Trollperle
Trollperle
BeadWrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by Trollperle Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:25 am

Here is one of my favourite copper combos Smile

Got my amethyst! Rosenf11
Trollperle
Trollperle
BeadWrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by minky Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:33 am

Woah, that snowflake wheel (??) is stunning! And is that a ruby? Very pretty. ^__^

So your copper bracelet smells "earthy", rather than "coin-y"? I think I could deal with "earthy" hmm
minky
minky
Trollbaby
Trollbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:48 am

You've chosen a very beautiful Amethyst, enjoy!
Love the rich color.

I really love the bangles and I don't think, the silver one is thicker (at least i haven't noticed it).
It's very comfortable to wear.
The copper bangle needs a gentle cleaning more often, especially when it's hot and humid.  As Trollperle said, lemon + salt will easily do the trick.

Got my amethyst! 17651221ln

Got my amethyst! 20328825ut

Got my amethyst! 23093626hx
Fleur
Fleur
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by minky Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:54 am

Gosh you might be right about the size--perhaps the darker color of the copper made it look thinner in the store! I'll need to play with it more next time. I really enjoyed how easy it was to put on and take off. Ahh need a bangle now!!

I prefer the color of copper, but I live in Hong Kong where it's hot and humid 90% of the time! xD Oh boy. I don't even mind the rusted look, but very very curious how it smells after a cleaning. I need to know if that money smell is only because it was handled by too many hands in the store. D: So torn between the copper and silver bangles!

TFS those pics, I love your amethyst too! Also your red yin-yang bead is very unique.
minky
minky
Trollbaby
Trollbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by ceruleanbluebird Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:00 pm

I never noticed a smell from my copper bangle. You will not regret a bangle purchase, though. You can't go wrong with either one and eventually, I think you will have both.

I love making mini combos. It gives you the freedom to go with any color combination. You don't have to worry about getting enough beads in a particular scheme to make a full bracelet.

I love wearing my bangles with leather, if I can.
Got my amethyst! Img_8313

Got my amethyst! Img_3322

Seven stones to choose from is AWESOME! You picked a winner!
ceruleanbluebird
ceruleanbluebird
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Trollperle Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:10 pm

minky wrote:Woah, that snowflake wheel (??) is stunning! And is that a ruby? Very pretty. ^__^

So your copper bracelet smells "earthy", rather than "coin-y"? I think I could deal with "earthy" hmm

Yup, definitely earthy Smile And when it turnes dark and maybe smelly, at least it is my smell not some stranger´s and I think that makes all the difference, too Wink

The Wheel is the Rose Window from Fearybeads and the red stone is a garnet from the last autumn release. I love the rose window especially on a bangle because it is a bit roundish and thus the beads left and right from it do not crowd it in so much as on a bracelet and thus I can see the „window panels“ better Smile

Trollperle
Trollperle
BeadWrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by minky Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:21 pm

I think you guys have convinced me to go copper... I didn't like the look of silver on me in the store, it just seemed too loud and shiny!! Can't wait to go back and get the bangle sometime soon. bounce
minky
minky
Trollbaby
Trollbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by minky Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:29 pm

ceruleanbluebird wrote:I never noticed a smell from my copper bangle.  You will not regret a bangle purchase, though.  You can't go wrong with either one and eventually, I think you will have both.

I love making mini combos.  It gives you the freedom to go with any color combination.  You don't have to worry about getting enough beads in a particular scheme to make a full bracelet.

I love wearing my bangles with leather, if I can.
Got my amethyst! Img_8313

Got my amethyst! Img_3322

Seven stones to choose from is AWESOME!  You picked a winner!

I haven't tried leather yet, it does look nice! I'm especially envious of your beautiful garnet bead there... would be even more envious if it was the amethyst version! Razz

Both! Oh lord, I hope I'm happy enough with the one copper and don't have to go too bangle crazy. @__@

I love making mini-combos too but it's always with a guilty heart that I leave my favorites behind for the day. Laughing I'd wear them all at the same time if only the weight didn't kill my wrist!

The most attractive thing about the bangle is that it completely frees up the underside of your wrist, which would make working at a computer much more comfortable I imagine!

And yes, that shop had so much stuff in stock (except for the Rainbow Chakra!). I found a beautiful round pink pearl (haven't seen another pink pearl in years, especially not one that round) and many retired beads. I definitely need more time to go through their inventory next time.
minky
minky
Trollbaby
Trollbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Blairkj Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:42 pm

You have a beautiful amethyst bead.
I love bangles. I am about ready to buy a copper one.
Get one. You will love it.
Blairkj
Blairkj
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Post by Gail201 Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:12 pm

minky wrote:The store I went to had around 7 amethysts in stock, and this one easily stood out as the darkest and richest purple. My birthday isn't until next month (which is when I'd planned to get it), but I couldn't let this one get away!
Got my amethyst! Wlazq8

Also almost came home with a bangle, which is what I went there to get in the first place, but the silver ones seem a little thick and the copper ones (perfect thickness imo and beautiful color!) smell yucky. Was also going for the chakra rainbow, however the only one they had in stock was really dark... maybe next time!

I've always coveted the retired Amethyst Stone bead, but seeing as that's a super long shot I'm very happy with this version of the amethyst!

Feel free to share pictures of how you use your amethyst. I'm also interested in seeing silver bangle combos, I know I'd like a bangle eventually but the thickness is a bit offputting (or if you have a copper one, how do you deal with the smell??).

Your amethyst is outstanding.  It is always so nice to have a choice at the LD. 
I am inspired by your mix of silver and gold.  It seems perfect with the gemstones. 
I am thinking about getting the gold lace lock, even though I don't have the gold bracelet.
Gail201
Gail201
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Post by LindaJo Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:22 pm

You will love having a bangle. So quick and easy to play with a few beads!
Personally, I can't wear the Troll bangles, they just do not fit me. I bought some no-name bangles second-hand that are perfect for me.

And you were right to pounce on the amethyst. You have to get it when you find it!
LindaJo
LindaJo
BeadWrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cloverbead Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:49 am

Your mini combo is perfect. Love the dangles.
Cloverbead
Cloverbead
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by minky Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:49 pm

Aww thank you Cloverbead. Embarassed I have so many favorite beads it was so hard to narrow it down to these five. With the bangle I seem to like 3 bead combos, but I have noooo clue which 2 more I'll have to cut out! (first world problems, alas)

LindaJo wrote:You will love having a bangle. So quick and easy to play with a few beads!
Personally, I can't wear the Troll bangles, they just do not fit me. I bought some no-name bangles second-hand that are perfect for me.

And you were right to pounce on the amethyst. You have to get it when you find it!
That's interesting to hear! Can you share why troll bangles don't fit right? I didn't try it on for very long in the store. No name second-hand bangles sound really great, especially if you can stick trollbeads on them! I'd love to find myself some of those.

He hehe thanks for all the encouraging, validating words about my impulse amethyst. Wink
minky
minky
Trollbaby
Trollbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by LindaJo Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:27 pm

The Troll bangles are stiff cuffs. I did try them, but stiff cuffs never fit me. If the opening is big enough to get it on my wrist, it's big enough to let it fall right off again. It must just be the way my hands and wrists are built. Squeezing it to fit and then pulling it back apart to get it off every time, that just leads to metal fatigue and eventually breaking. And yes, I've tried the silk scarf trick, and the roll-it-on from the soft part in the under-wrist trick, and anything else ever suggested. I need either a flexible cuff or one that has hinges. My no-name ones are flexible.

Same with round bangles. If they are big enough to slide over my hand, then they are too big, and will fall off again. I prefer oval, hinged bangles. I do wear round bangles occasionally, but with some sort of bulky bracelet put on below to hold them up.
LindaJo
LindaJo
BeadWrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuzzyfeet Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:54 pm

I do fight to get my bangle on, so I would love to know the silk scarf trick !

I love your few carefully chosen beads Minky, and you can never go wrong with an Amethyst Wink
Fuzzyfeet
Fuzzyfeet
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisylove Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:45 pm

Beautiful Amethyst Minky!
Love the different ways you have used your bangle.
Daisylove
Daisylove
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by stacecase Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:44 pm

Btw, another household product that works brilliantly on copper is ketchup. I don't always have fresh lemons around and a dab of ketchup really makes it sparkle, bangle, beads and stoppers! I just rub it around, then rinse under warm water and dry with a soft cloth, followed by a quick polish with a copper polishing cloth. This also works beautifully on the brass beads from RBF.

My copper tarnishes very quickly and turns my wrist green, but that is just the natural reaction to my body composition, everyone's is different Smile It comes off very easily, so no biggie to me.

Minky, your amethyst is PERFECT, of course you could not leave it behind Wink
stacecase
stacecase
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down