BEADTHRILLED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Santa Lucia

+7
TrollEcat
plumbun
strike
Beady-Eyed
kyhalfpt
Brightonbelle
Trollperle
11 posters

Go down

Santa Lucia Empty Santa Lucia

Post by Trollperle Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:48 am

The Swedish Feast day of Santa Lucia goes back to the Saint St. Lucia of Syracus and is celebrated on 13th December each year (under the Julian Calender the day of the winter solstice) with processions of young girls clad in white wearing candles on their heads and singing traditional songs in worship of St. Lucia and the returning of the light.

The Swedish Embassies worldwide celebrate this special holiday and luckily we have one in Skopje, as well. This year´s celebration was the best so far Smile It took place in the National Theatre, little saffron buns and ginger cookies were served together with mulled wine that had raisins and nuts in it, and then there was a performance, first of a lady´s choir that sang christmas songs from Macedonia, Sweden and a few that are universal. Then two most wonderful Soprano singers performed. One is the Swedish Ambassador´s wife and the other her twin sister and they were so fantastic - I still get goose bumps thinking about it! Last but not least the children´s procession came in singing „Santa Lucia“ together with the lady´s choir, all dressed in white and the first child with 4 real candles on a head piece, the rest were wearing electric candles (the safer choice with so many children Smile ). Afterwards there was a buffet feast of Swedish food with Köterbullar and salmon dishes. I always love this event because it has such a warm and wonderfully chrismassy feeling to it, but this year was the best so far Smile

This is what I was wearing to it, welcoming back the light (even though it was still getting darker in reality, I felt the light peaking through Smile already) .

Santa Lucia Santa_15

I have shown a variation of this one before. The Elfbeds Shinemas is new and had its first outing on this day Smile and I rearranged it with less red so the yellow (light) is shining brighter. And for the first time ever the red on black dragon focal from Christa shows its face on a bracelet (he is very camera shy Smile )
Trollperle
Trollperle
BeadWrangler

Back to top Go down

Santa Lucia Empty Re: Santa Lucia

Post by Brightonbelle Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:49 am

Thanks for telling us about the festival so clearly. I almost feel that I was there. Love the saffron buns on your bracelet. Very yummy!
Brightonbelle
Brightonbelle
Beadaddict

Back to top Go down

Post by kyhalfpt Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:07 pm

The festival sounds wonderful. I love your bracelet! Especially love that yellow ornament!!
kyhalfpt
kyhalfpt
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Beady-Eyed Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:33 pm

Thank you for letting us share your wonderful experience by giving us such a detailed description Hug The lack of light has really bothered me this year, so I'm ready for the turning of the light tide sunny
Beady-Eyed
Beady-Eyed
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Post by strike Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:12 pm

Like the others, I feel as if I am there experiencing it myself through your descriptions!

The contrast of the light and dark in your bracelet is beautiful and quite fitting. Thank you for sharing! Smile
strike
strike
Troll Guru

http://www.blackbootslonglegs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by plumbun Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:31 pm

like that this is simple and also really involved. you tell the best stories too, btw!
plumbun
plumbun
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by TrollEcat Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:19 pm

Beautiful bracelet with really gorgeous beads! I really adore the big amber bead!
TrollEcat
TrollEcat
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by reltan Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:11 pm

Beautiful, is that one of the dragon's elfbeads?
reltan
reltan
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Trollperle Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:00 am

Thank you my dears for your lovely comments! Hug Love

Yes, Reltan, the golden-purple glass dragon is an Elfbead Dragoness.

The beautiful big round amber was gifted to me by my lovely Secret Halloween Swap partner Love And I found the yellow ornament at a wonderful LD this autumn, it must have been fate that everybody else had overlooked it for two years... Smile
Trollperle
Trollperle
BeadWrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluesybeads Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:30 am

Santa Lucia is such a beautiful custom Very Happy

Santa Lucia 10857888_434675196684403_7255229931101256444_n
Bluesybeads
Bluesybeads
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by DblJJ Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:07 pm

TFS. Santa Lucia has a special meaning in our house my Mom is Swedish and when my oldest got her American Girl Doll Grandma made a Santa Lucia outfit for my daughter and her doll. What lovely memories Christmas brings.
DblJJ
DblJJ
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Mabel Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:25 am

Thanks so very much for the historical background - I love reading about it and looking at the wonderful pictures!
Mabel
Mabel
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down