Black Pearl question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Black Pearl question

Post by kyhalfpt on Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:36 am

I am looking for a black pearl for my Pirate bracelet and I was wondering if they actually look black on the chain. Doesn't have to be TB--if there is a better alternative.  Thanks for any information.
avatar
kyhalfpt
Troll Guru

Posts : 3410
Join date : 2013-02-16
Location : NJ

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Pearl question

Post by trollcat on Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:01 am

Well, the history of black pearls  study

I seem to remember a release of black pearls, before the peacock pearls,
before the limited releases were actually called "Limited Releases".
With that unhelpful bit, as you may or may not know the peacocks have either a bluish, pinkish, or greenish hue. The older black pearls didn't seem to have the color, but some tended toward brown, or grey. So as for looking black, I can't say! Dark, lovely, but not quite black. 
(Not helpful as usual  What a Face)
avatar
trollcat
Bead Whisperer

Posts : 2705
Join date : 2011-01-11
Location : New Jersey, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Pearl question

Post by Amanda Mac (Dot) on Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:20 am

According to the Museum, the Black pearls were production for a short while in 2001-2, and I think they are now pretty difficult to come by:

http://www.trollbeads.com/united-states/en-us/museum/2001-2005/51701

Whereas the Peacock Pearl was a LE from 2009:

http://www.trollbeads.com/united-states/en-us/museum/2006-2010/51706

Here are my black pearls and some of peacock pearls if that helps. The two black pearls are at the ends - one is black and the other is brown. My peacock pearls are greeny, pinky, purpley and silvery-greyish:



Good luck with your quest!
avatar
Amanda Mac (Dot)
Trolldiva

Posts : 2168
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : UK

http://www.wikibeadia.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Pearl question

Post by bubbagump on Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:11 am

My two black pearls are brown. I love them dearly.
avatar
bubbagump
Trolldiva

Posts : 2105
Join date : 2011-06-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Pearl question

Post by Fleur on Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:01 am

The old "black" pearls did vary too.
I have a brown, dark purple, dark green one and yes, one is actually black/intense dark grey.
Compared to the peacock pearls I'd say, the color was more dark/intense.
Good luck for your hunt (probably will be easier to find a non TB).
avatar
Fleur
Troll Guru

Posts : 3063
Join date : 2011-01-16
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Pearl question

Post by Fuzzyfeet on Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:15 am

Does anyone else make Peacock Pearls ?
avatar
Fuzzyfeet
Troll Guru

Posts : 6816
Join date : 2011-01-31
Location : Wild Windy Wiltshire (UK)

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Pearl question

Post by niceday on Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:20 am

My black pearl is brown too. I think you have to be careful now if you are looking for a black one as you could be  buying a peacock one.
If you get a brown one then you know its what is called a black pearl Laughing Laughing
avatar
niceday
Trolldiva

Posts : 1601
Join date : 2011-01-25
Location : UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Pearl question

Post by Mabel on Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:38 am

@Fuzzyfeet wrote:Does anyone else make Peacock Pearls ?


yes please - I would be very interested too!!!! I love you
avatar
Mabel
Troll Guru

Posts : 2631
Join date : 2011-12-08
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Pearl question

Post by Reive on Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:27 pm

it's a bit of a cheat but I use black silks to represent black pearls on my pirate bracelet.
avatar
Reive
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Posts : 1455
Join date : 2012-01-18
Location : Cambridge, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Pearl question

Post by trollcat on Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:12 pm

Novobeads has a black pearl, it looks good in the pic!
avatar
trollcat
Bead Whisperer

Posts : 2705
Join date : 2011-01-11
Location : New Jersey, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Pearl question

Post by kyhalfpt on Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:26 pm

@trollcat wrote:Well, the history of black pearls  study

I seem to remember a release of black pearls, before the peacock pearls,
before the limited releases were actually called "Limited Releases".
With that unhelpful bit, as you may or may not know the peacocks have either a bluish, pinkish, or greenish hue. The older black pearls didn't seem to have the color, but some tended toward brown, or grey. So as for looking black, I can't say! Dark, lovely, but not quite black. 
(Not helpful as usual  What a Face)


The history is helpful.  It wasn't very clear to me.



@Amanda Mac (Dot) wrote:According to the Museum, the Black pearls were production for a short while in 2001-2, and I think they are now pretty difficult to come by:

http://www.trollbeads.com/united-states/en-us/museum/2001-2005/51701

Whereas the Peacock Pearl was a LE from 2009:

http://www.trollbeads.com/united-states/en-us/museum/2006-2010/51706

Here are my black pearls and some of peacock pearls if that helps. The two black pearls are at the ends - one is black and the other is brown. My peacock pearls are greeny, pinky, purpley and silvery-greyish:



Good luck with your quest!


Thanks for your photos, yours are beautiful!  


@niceday wrote:My black pearl is brown too. I think you have to be careful now if you are looking for a black one as you could be  buying a peacock one.
If you get a brown one then you know its what is called a black pearl Laughing Laughing


That was my fear...not being able to tell the difference with the peacock.
avatar
kyhalfpt
Troll Guru

Posts : 3410
Join date : 2013-02-16
Location : NJ

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Pearl question

Post by kyhalfpt on Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:27 pm

@Reive wrote:it's a bit of a cheat but I use black silks to represent black pearls on my pirate bracelet.

This is what I have done so far, just used black beads with my silvers...but thought I would look for a pearl.
avatar
kyhalfpt
Troll Guru

Posts : 3410
Join date : 2013-02-16
Location : NJ

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Pearl question

Post by kyhalfpt on Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:30 pm

@trollcat wrote:Novobeads has a black pearl, it looks good in the pic!

That one does look good! And one of my pirates is from Novobeads.....hmmmm. I might go for that one.

Does anyone have any pearls from them?
avatar
kyhalfpt
Troll Guru

Posts : 3410
Join date : 2013-02-16
Location : NJ

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Pearl question

Post by trollmoll on Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:45 pm

@kyhalfpt wrote:
@trollcat wrote:Novobeads has a black pearl, it looks good in the pic!


That one does look good!  And one of my pirates is from Novobeads.....hmmmm. I might go for that one.  

Does anyone have any pearls from them?

I don't have any Novobeads pearls but I know someone who ordered them online and was disappointed in the size and luster. Maybe you can find a retailer who is willing to take photos so you can choose. Another retailer who carries black pearls is Biagi, but I don't have any either so cannot attest to their quality. The natural pearls can have shapes that are not quite round and surface imperfections.

http://www.beadloverskorner.com/Carlo-Biagi-Beads-Pearl.html
avatar
trollmoll
Trolldiva

Posts : 1979
Join date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Pearl question

Post by LindaJo on Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:02 pm

Occasionally the stone bead artisans will get in some pearls and core them. Check with Liana Beads or BabSBeads on Facebook. And I expect there are other artisans on Etsy and Dawanda.
avatar
LindaJo
BeadWrangler

Posts : 5237
Join date : 2011-03-29
Location : Georgia, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Pearl question

Post by kyhalfpt on Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:42 pm

Thanks everyone for all the information and help!  I found two On FB this morning and bought them--now I just have to wait for them to arrive...

They will be the only pearls I have except for the anniversary bracelet, so hopefully they do not create pearl envy...
avatar
kyhalfpt
Troll Guru

Posts : 3410
Join date : 2013-02-16
Location : NJ

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Pearl question

Post by kyhalfpt on Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:39 pm

avatar
kyhalfpt
Troll Guru

Posts : 3410
Join date : 2013-02-16
Location : NJ

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Pearl question

Post by reltan on Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:28 pm

Mine, only one, is small ugly and brown
avatar
reltan
Troll Guru

Posts : 4802
Join date : 2012-07-30
Location : Italy

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Pearl question

Post by Amanda Mac (Dot) on Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:40 am

@kyhalfpt wrote:Thanks everyone for all the information and help!  I found two On FB this morning and bought them--now I just have to wait for them to arrive...

They will be the only pearls I have except for the anniversary bracelet, so hopefully they do not create pearl envy...

LOL - that was a quick quest!! Do post photos when they arrive Very Happy
avatar
Amanda Mac (Dot)
Trolldiva

Posts : 2168
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : UK

http://www.wikibeadia.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Pearl question

Post by Mabel on Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:02 pm

Just for comparison - on the Dragon Bracelet are all my "black pearls" - in fact they are all shades of brown:

The one at little past twelve was a great find in a shop in Denmark some years ago - for a black pearl it is really big and has a wonderful chocolate brown. The little one on 9 a´clock I got on ebay and when it arrived I wasn´t really sure if it really was a "black" one or a peacock - comparing it to my peacocks it become clear that it is a black one:

They are all either peacocks or rose pearls (I prefer the ones that turned out to be more champagne) - the only none TB is the white one (Macrow)
It is annoying that I wasn´t able to catch the different shades - one is more green, the other one more like red wine and two are more dove grey...... Evil or Very Mad
avatar
Mabel
Troll Guru

Posts : 2631
Join date : 2011-12-08
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Pearl question

Post by kyhalfpt on Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:48 pm

@Amanda Mac (Dot) wrote:
@kyhalfpt wrote:Thanks everyone for all the information and help!  I found two On FB this morning and bought them--now I just have to wait for them to arrive...

They will be the only pearls I have except for the anniversary bracelet, so hopefully they do not create pearl envy...


LOL - that was a quick quest!! Do post photos when they arrive Very Happy

Yes, someone was selling two that looked pretty well matched and pretty dark in their photos--will have to see when I get them. I didn't think I should pass them up, especially after seeing your bracelet with one at each end! I will definitely post photos when they a Arrive!
avatar
kyhalfpt
Troll Guru

Posts : 3410
Join date : 2013-02-16
Location : NJ

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Pearl question

Post by kyhalfpt on Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:59 pm

@Mabel wrote:Just for comparison - on the Dragon Bracelet are all my "black pearls" - in fact they are all shades of brown:

The one at little past twelve was a great find in a shop in Denmark some years ago - for a black pearl it is really big and has a wonderful chocolate brown. The little one on 9 a´clock I got on ebay and when it arrived I wasn´t really sure if it really was a "black" one or a peacock - comparing it to my peacocks it become clear that it is a black one:

They are all either peacocks or rose pearls (I prefer the ones that turned out to be more champagne) - the only none TB is the white one (Macrow)
It is annoying that I wasn´t able to catch the different shades - one is more green, the other one more like red wine and two are more dove grey...... Evil or Very Mad


Wow!  Mabel, yours are beautiful too! I love all the different shades!
avatar
kyhalfpt
Troll Guru

Posts : 3410
Join date : 2013-02-16
Location : NJ

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum