BEADTHRILLED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What glass bead (if any) would you order sight unseen?

+9
kyhalfpt
fairytroll
Jules
Brightonbelle
plumbun
Gail201
bubbagump
Trollperle
reltan
13 posters

Go down

What glass bead (if any) would you order sight unseen? Empty What glass bead (if any) would you order sight unseen?

Post by strike Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:11 pm

For the past few days I've been debating the bangle offer. And what's taken me so long is deciding which bead to order! Rolling Eyes

The dealers closest to me aren't participating in the promotion, so I can't buy in person. To order from a U.S. dealer who could provide pictures would cost me an extra $20 because of the exchange rate. So, I need to order from trollbeads.com, and that means ordering blind! I've realized how much I rely on buying glass in person, or at least through a picture. I haven't ordered blind in almost three years. And now I'm stumped as to what to order for the bangle offer, since I don't really want a "throwaway" (which would really be a trade-away) bead.

So, I'm curious - are there any production beads that you would order without seeing? The only "safe" bead I've thought of is white stripe (I already have a white bubbles). I love blue deserts, but I wouldn't want to get one just like one I already have (I have six Embarassed ). I like some azure bubbles, but feel I might get a dud if I order that one blind. I thought potentially a bead like autumn foliage or swaying straws since they probably don't vary that much in colour? I'd love a magical lamp, but again I'd be concerned about getting a dud.

Getting a free bead shouldn't take so much effort Laughing

(*amended to indicate which *glass* bead you'd order sight unseen. Although I know silvers vary, they vary much less Wink )
strike
strike
Troll Guru

http://www.blackbootslonglegs.com

Back to top Go down

What glass bead (if any) would you order sight unseen? Empty Re: What glass bead (if any) would you order sight unseen?

Post by reltan Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:39 pm

Well, my only real concern would be the size, I could never put up with a big bead... as for the rest, I would consider the glitter ones, the stones, dillos
reltan
reltan
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

What glass bead (if any) would you order sight unseen? Empty Re: What glass bead (if any) would you order sight unseen?

Post by Brightonbelle Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:47 pm

Have you tried to contact them to see if they will choose a bead of the size and type that you like?
Brightonbelle
Brightonbelle
Beadaddict

Back to top Go down

Post by strike Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:13 pm

reltan wrote:Well, my only real concern would be the size, I could never put up with a big bead... as for the rest, I would consider the glitter ones,  the stones, dillos

I hadn't thought of size, but that is very true. Although usually I don't find most production bead to be too big for me. I usually find artisans are larger than TB production so I always check them carefully when ordering (I learned my lesson once with a beautiful artisan bead that arrived and was 17mm. I couldn't use it at all. It clearly stated the size in the description, I just missed it).

I did think of cream armadillo, but I've seen a few in real life that have a bit of a wonky shape Shocked So I only get armadillos in person.

I think I might take a chance on a magical lamp. I've only seen one slightly wonky one.
strike
strike
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by strike Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:18 pm

Brightonbelle wrote:Have you tried to contact them to see if they will choose a bead of the size and type that you like?

Honestly, I hadn't thought that they'd take any requests since it's the main site, but I suppose I could. Or write something if there is a comments field. I was all set on ordering from one of the US retailers who I know would take a picture until I realized how much more it would cost me! Also, sometimes I only know what I like when I see it. I spent quite a bit of time looking for a scarlet armadillo, and then one day I found the right one. I can't say what it is about that one that I like, I just like it. Laughing

Mostly I was just curious if others ordered blind or if I was just overthinking the whole thing. Laughing
strike
strike
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Trollperle Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:16 pm

In the beginning I ordered many beads from amazon sight unseen and got some really beautiful ones that I treasure to this day (I did not know then that they could vary so much, blessed was my unknowing soul Smile ). I once got a silver mountan that was beautiful only on one side and looked like the silver foil did not „take off“ on the other and was a bit disappointed at first, now I think it has its own charme). Now I order most of my beads from a lovely LD who provides WYSIWYG-pictures for some and for a lot of them I trust her judgement because she knows that I like them medium to small but not extra-small and „interesting“ (hard to explain  that one  Embarassed ) The size for  me now also is the only turn-off. I used to like the big ones but if there are too many jumbo beads, the bracelet feels to heavy for me, so now I aim for smaller but not really small ones Smile. I would also try to leave a comment with TB and I am sure, the bead will be lovely Smile
Trollperle
Trollperle
BeadWrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by bubbagump Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:28 pm

it's really hard to purchase sight unseen. i'm very particular. if given the choice, i'd rather select my own beads because i am very fussy. i think any of the older glass beads would be a safe bet. and i think black squirrel would be a bead that would be ok to order sight unseen.
bubbagump
bubbagump
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Gail201 Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:35 pm

Aren't Dew Drops, Blue Moonstone, Summer Dot are consistent?
Gail201
Gail201
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Post by plumbun Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:39 pm

no not overthinking...def add comments or email if you can...white paper fold would probably be OK black bubbles? honey dawn? (just wondering--do they do the $34 stones? like the sodalite?) i'd prob try for a magical lamp or brown desert... Smile

plumbun
plumbun
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by strike Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:53 pm

Sadly they don't have all of the beads as options, only current line glass. So no black bubbles (that probably would have been my first choice) and no brown desert Sad And no stones. I've realized most that I would order unseen are ones that I already have Laughing

I thought I would go for the white stripe since I don't think you can go wrong with that one, but I'm starting to lean towards the magical lamp. I have wanted one for a while, but other things get in the way. And, it would be nice to get one that has been on my wishlist, rather than just one that I think is "safe".

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one though! Sometimes I wonder if I'm a bit too picky in my beads. I can be pretty particular when it comes to matching colours, but then when I "let go" and use beads that don't match as closely as I would prefer, I still usually grow to like the end result. But, I've also had too many regretted beads. So, trying to find some kind of balance. Wink
strike
strike
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Brightonbelle Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:18 pm

strike wrote:Sadly they don't have all of the beads as options, only current line glass. So no black bubbles (that probably would have been my first choice) and no brown desert Sad And no stones. I've realized most that I would order unseen are ones that I already have Laughing

I thought I would go for the white stripe since I don't think you can go wrong with that one, but I'm starting to lean towards the magical lamp. I have wanted one for a while, but other things get in the way. And, it would be nice to get one that has been on my wishlist, rather than just one that I think is "safe".

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one though! Sometimes I wonder if I'm a bit too picky in my beads. I can be pretty particular when it comes to matching colours, but then when I "let go" and use beads that don't match as closely as I would prefer, I still usually grow to like the end result. But, I've also had too many regretted beads. So, trying to find some kind of balance. Wink

I can't imagine a Magical Lamp being really disappointing. I think the cost of the beads justifies pickiness.
Brightonbelle
Brightonbelle
Beadaddict

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:20 pm

I think white stripe would be fine...I don't have magical lamp either, another 'I keep meaning to' bead, but I think that one would be ok too..Beads that seem to vary wildly in size are the flower from the summer beach kit (pink) and the pale pink engraved...some of the engraved pinks are really large.
Jules
Jules
Trolladdict
Trolladdict

Back to top Go down

Post by fairytroll Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:10 pm

I am super picky with my glass beads.  I prefer my beads small to medium size and I don't like beads that are too skinny.  I could go on and on. Embarassed  I would have a hard time choosing a glass bead without seeing a photo. Even seeing a photo I am sometimes disappointed. Embarrassed

I just looked at the choices of glass beads for the bangle offer on trollbeads.com.  My picks would be cozy (never seen a bad one), spirit light (every one I've seen is consistent), black bubbles (never seen a bad one), or a prism.
fairytroll
fairytroll
Trollmeister
Trollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by kyhalfpt Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:30 pm

I was also thinking a prism. They all look the same.
kyhalfpt
kyhalfpt
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by trollcat Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:19 pm

Are there any dealers at all (perhaps closer to you for mailing purposes) that would send you a picture of glass production beads that you are interested in, so you can choose? I am sure many would be thrilled to get your business and would help you out. Compared with headquarters, which may not want to take the time to do so. These cost enough without just getting a bead that might be of uniform size/color vs. getting a bead that you really like.
trollcat
trollcat
Bead Whisperer

Back to top Go down

Post by strike Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:44 am

No, the next closest dealer is about 1.5 hours from here and seems to have ended their promo on Christmas Eve. I've only been to one of the other dealers in Ontario and they were *tiny* so I doubt they would have my size. And the others I don't know, but not likely to have my size either (I need an XS, neither of the dealers closest to me carries that anyway, so they would have had to order it in for me if they had participated).

But, I had a bit of a "moment of clarity" earlier Very Happy I went to order the promo from the TB website and it kept trying to add "VAT" of $18. After checking my address and deleting and adding it to my cart again, and playing around with the provinces, I finally realized it was adding the HST tax and the website just calls VAT. But it made me realize that it's not the right time to get it. If I didn't want to spend the extra $20 to get it from one of the U.S. dealers that I already deal with, then why would I spend $18 to get it from the corporate website. I really just want the bangle and I thought that I was being silly not to get it as part of the promo. But, I think my reluctance is really just a sign that I should wait and not rush in just because of the promo.
strike
strike
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by LindaJo Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:49 am

Well, it sounds like you've resolved your dilemma.

But as far as a glass I'd order sight unseen? Black Silk.

LindaJo
LindaJo
BeadWrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by strike Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:13 am

LindaJo wrote:Well, it sounds like you've resolved your dilemma.

But as far as a glass I'd order sight unseen?  Black Silk.

See, I need a new black silk, but I can't order that one unseen. My current one has half that has a golden sheen, and half that has a greyish sheen. And it drives me insane Laughing

I think I have resolved my dilemma. Hopefully I don't regret it on January 1st Razz
strike
strike
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by LindaJo Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:44 am

Very Happy And that's exactly what I love about Black Silk, the varying sheens!

LindaJo
LindaJo
BeadWrangler

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:11 pm

I am sure, your bangle will find you one day. Let it be another promotion or a sale Wink
I would't be happy to order a glass bead unseen, although I haven't seen a Midnight Flower bead, that I did not like (don't need another one though).
Fleur
Fleur
Troll Guru

Back to top Go down