BEADTHRILLED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smokey topaz or smokey quartz?

4 posters

Go down

Smokey topaz or smokey quartz? Empty Smokey topaz or smokey quartz?

Post by TuiSong Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:17 am

I thought my stone was smokey quartz, but it looks so much more like the smokey topaz I've seen. Is there a way to tell for sure which it is? my memory fails me as to which one I actually bought

Smokey topaz or smokey quartz? P1020011
TuiSong
TuiSong
Trollbaby
Trollbaby

Back to top Go down

Smokey topaz or smokey quartz? Empty Re: Smokey topaz or smokey quartz?

Post by bubbagump Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:28 am

Yours looks like a Smokey Quartz to me. You have a very pretty light one. It's nice. Mine are all dark like root beer. They come in light, medium, and dark colors. But are all Smokey Quarts. Trollbeads does not have a Smokey Topaz Gemstone. They have a Golden Quartz Gemstone that comes in light, medium, and dark colors also. The Golden Quartz Gemstones have a very golden look to them similar to the glow of your Golden Cave bead. You can really tell the difference when you look at them, because the smokey quartz are, well, Smokey. And the golden quartz give off a definite golden glow. Hope this helps. Smile
bubbagump
bubbagump
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by bubbagump Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:30 am

p.s. tomorrow i'll take pictures of mine side by side and post them for you, so you can see the difference.
bubbagump
bubbagump
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by retiredk9racer Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:30 am

That looks like a smokey quartz to me, the golden quartz beads are usually more "golden" while the smokey ones seemed to be a bit more gray, to me, anyways!
retiredk9racer
retiredk9racer
Trolldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by TuiSong Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:42 am

I've seen smoky topaz mentioned on here and I googled it and there were many hits that came up. After following several links for smoky topaz back to online stores, they all seem to use the same stock photo troll beads.com use for smoky quartz... So are the topaz and quartz actually the same thing just under a different name depending on what market they're being sold in? Trollbeads.com don't have any topaz listed at all.

I agree that what I have is definitely smoky, it's a really lovely pale beigey grey

ETA: aha! some further google work has indicated that for sometimes smoky quartz is rebranded as topaz as it sounds more 'exotic' and precious.
TuiSong
TuiSong
Trollbaby
Trollbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by splinty Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:09 am

Yes that's all there is to it TuiSong, just creative marketing Rolling Eyes . Trollbeads used to call them Smoky Topaz but changed it to Smoky Quartz a while back ~ probably cos there's not really any such gemstone as Smoky Topaz Laughing. Yours is a beaut, perfect clarity! Cool
splinty
splinty
Admin

Back to top Go down